Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. G

Rams died fish store won't replace!

Ahhhh......overmoderation strikes again. There are countless threads bashing Walmart and Petco for obvious reasons, yet, someone mentions a horrible experience they had with a LFS and the name gets blocked. I live in NY and would love to know the name of this place so I can avoid it at all...
  2. G

room for ghost shrimp?

If you have predatory fish the amount of ghost shrimp you can get away with depends on the number of hiding spaces you have for them. I have plants and caves in my tank and a very inquisitive angel who has eaten shrimp in the past. Yet, in spite of this, I still have about 7 or 8 shrimp left...
  3. G

live plants w/ cycling???

Not only will the plants consume nitrates at the end of the cycle, they will also consume ammonia at the beginning. They won't be able to out compete the bacteria in the filter but they will add another level of biofiltration.
  4. G

Tankmates for Angelfish

I kept danios with my angels when they were little and they did nothing but terrorize them. They would constantly nip their fins if they came too high off the gravel. That's why I now have angels with bent dorsal fins. Their dorsal fins were shrinking and looked frayed at the tip. I thought...
  5. G

NitrAtes...Need Answer Fast...Acclimating Angels

Depends on who the inhabitants are. You don't want any super fast fish in there with them. You also don't want any fin-nippers in there, either. It would help a lot if you listed what fish you already have.
  6. G

The tank that won't cycle

Since you're looking at taking squeezings from your mom's tank, why not take some of the actual filter media? What kind of filter does she use and what kind do you use? If it's doable (meaning that your filter has at least some space where you can put a chunk of used media) just ask her for a...
  7. G

The tank that won't cycle

Hey Kimmisc. It is possible that the biospira you got was dead. The bacteria need to be kept refrigerated the entire time that they're in the package. Just because it got to you cold, doesn't mean that it was kept that way all the way up until the point it got to whatever location it was...
  8. G

Marble shrimp

The bamboo shrimp only requires brackish to full salt water for its larvae. Supposedly, the females will go gravid all the time when males are present (because they mate) and the larvae just die because they can't get to salt water. That's just what I've read. Look at petshrimp.com for more...
  9. G

Are the plants you're selling/trading ILLEGAL?

Hey, I'm just passing on the general sentiment of the people involved (the USDA folks). Besides, NYS has no noxious weed program to speak of so I really can't bash something that doesn't exist. I'm also not telling everyone to go ahead and ship whatever, wherever. Some of the statements made...
  10. G

Actually, yes, this is comparing apples to apples. The host species (of which there are 11 or 12) are the regulated items here, in addition to the beetle itself. It doesn't matter whether or not the wood is infested or shows no signs of infestation. It is all a possible vector for dispersal...
  11. G

Otos eating everything! What now?

lightly blanched spinach. you'll definitely find them hanging out on it, munching and scraping. get yourself a veggie clip and stick it to the side of the tank.
  12. G

Need "the best" CO2 recipe!

Whoops. I forgot that the hagen system comes with it's own container and equipment to generate the CO2. This is what happens when you've just gone a whole day at work with only 3 hours of sleep. Sorry about that pretty unecessary post (at least, unecessary for your situation). Still, if you...
  13. G

Need "the best" CO2 recipe!

I don't use DIY CO2 but considered making a unit for a while...until I got my CO2 cannister. Anyway, while doing research for the setup, I came across this site which gives you everything you want to know about a DIY setup (well, almost): http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#1 The...
  14. G

Amazon river salt content

Awesome. Hold on, I'll be right back. I have to go add 100 lbs of aquarium salt to my 55 gallon tank. Shouldn't be a problem, right? Oh, wait, I'd better do it slowly.......don't want to stress my fish.
  15. G

Bamboo plants

Bamboo (true bamboo) does not enjoy being even partially submerged in water. It will die and rot in your tank. The plant you're probably referring to (Known as "Lucky Bamboo") is actually a member of the lilly familly called Dracaena. It, too, does not enjoy being submerged. This plant...
  16. G

Just to be as accurate as possible, because this is a joint USDA/NYS program, NYS actually quarantines and fines these guys. If there was no state entity at work, it would be the federal gov't taking care of that. The feds get involved, in this case, only if there is interstate movement of the...
  17. G

I'd have to look into this but, as far as applying for a permit goes, you're a hobbiest who wants to sell plants on the internet. They are not going to just give you a permit. People who get permits most likely have to attend some sort of informational class run by the USDA/state authority...
  18. G

Who was the permit request made to (USDA or state regulatory agency)? Where were you shipping it to? There is definitely something missing from the context of the letter you quoted. If the USDA puts a blanket ban on something, they ban it. Not only do they ban it, they don't allow it to be...
  19. G

Whoops, meant to edit this, not make another post. See below.
  20. G

Illegal plants

Done and done.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store