Rams died fish store won't replace!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

necigrad

AC Members
Feb 7, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Well the posted sign does say that nitrates must be zero for their guarantee to apply. Ever think that it isn't a typo, but a deliberate technique to avoid ever paying up on the guarantee?

If this is the case, it is a very unethical establishment; if the behavior of the employees is as described, that would be consistant.

I'd say you could take them to small claims court, but if the sign is as posted, they would just say they are complying with what they promised, even if you and I know it was intended to deceive knowledgable customers.
Nope, not correct. By providing reputable sources specifing what represents a cycled tank, the LFS requiring a non cycled tank would lose. This would be reinforced by taking a sample yourself by going to the store before court. I'd walk in, tell them you're taking a sample, and take it. It may technically be theft, but you're stealing water. No cop (at least in the US) will nail you for that, if you stick around. I'd just leave, even if the store insisted that you stay. By providing impartial reputable sourse of what a properly cycled tank is, the stores policy, the danges of a noncycled tank (again from a good source), and possibly they're cycled tank water posessing the forbidden chemical, you've got a slam dunk. Either they are holding you to an impossible standard, and even if they would, the LFS had faulty water as well, and THAT is what likely killed them.

Also, the LFS saying that the policy is clear shouldn't work either. It is obviously wrong, a typo, and the above mentioned sources demonstrate. It should be acceptable to say that a reasonable person could assume the sign was incorrect. And that actually happened to be the case here.

Usually, the policy says that nitrates must NOT be zero, because they then assume the customer brought tapwater in order to cheat.
If that's the case, anyone want some of my tapwater? It's 5ppm out of the tap.

I think they should have thrown in some extra but whatever. I have to give her credit for calling
I agree 100% with you. A store should resolve the problem. That's not necessarily getting something in return. Yes, an additional discount or credit would have been nice, but it would not solve your problem. It probably would have changed your opinion of the store to be a bit more favorable though.

So I feel alittle bad spreading the name since they did clear up the matter
Don't. You're being factual. This is what happened. This is how they dealt with it. Personally, were I to live in Buffalo this thread would have me avioding the store until I needed to go there. But I would not blacklist it, only push it further down the list. You live with your mistakes in the service industry, and they will. But by mentioning how they fixed it you've done the responsible thing and basically allowed their side. It's a well rounded post.​

FishorFoe

AC Members
Apr 7, 2007
I still wouldn't shop there, whether it was corrected or not :mad: It KILLS how FRIEKIN' DUMB people at pet store can be!!!!! I went to a pet store yesterday to look at their bearded dragons and there were some that were probably barely reaching 4 inches long and she said they were ABOUT EIGHT MONTHS OLD!!!!!!!!!! PPPPHHHFFFTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They were for sure 2-3 weeks old, not EIGHT MONTHS!!! BIG DIFFERENCE THERE!!!!!!!!!

Ghostshrimp55

AC Members
Sep 30, 2005
store is...............................
Ahhhh......overmoderation strikes again. There are countless threads bashing
Walmart and Petco for obvious reasons, yet, someone mentions a horrible experience they had with a LFS and the name gets blocked. I live in NY and would love to know the name of this place so I can avoid it at all costs if it's in my area. There's a thread here recommending good LFS's by name. Why aren't members allowed to post bad ones by name? It's valuable information and, yet, it's blocked. Thanks Blueiz!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is for protection of the site. There have been issues with LFS owners posing issues. Feel free to PM the poster to find out the specifics of the store location.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I don't think its over-modding - whatever about the objective comments about what is simply right and wrong (nitrites v nitrates), some of the comments about peoples intelligence/honesty/attitudes to animals which come up in these kind of threads could be problematic where an individual is so specifically identifiable. 'specially in this day and age folks.

An issue for another thread perhaps :) sorry if off topic.

Edit : v glad it worked out for lizzioti...hey that may rescue it :)

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Well your out what about $20 or so? Chalk it up to a learning experience and never again visit this store!

Also agree if people are going to be permitted to bash wal-mart and the likes; then users should be able to tell 'factual' stories about LFSs as well. IF not the store name at least give the city in which the store is, then if others shop in that city they can inquire about more information ;)

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Ahhhh......overmoderation strikes again. There are countless threads bashing
Walmart and Petco for obvious reasons, yet, someone mentions a horrible experience they had with a LFS and the name gets blocked. I live in NY and would love to know the name of this place so I can avoid it at all costs if it's in my area. There's a thread here recommending good LFS's by name. Why aren't members allowed to post bad ones by name? It's valuable information and, yet, it's blocked. Thanks Blueiz!

Ill have to say youre welcome on this one. No, its not overmoderation, its keeping store owners from registering with the site and possible legal action against the poster of this thread.

Not allowing names has been an AC staff decision.

There is an lfs thread , the poster can feel free to post this lfs there and the facts , however bashing with personal opinions will not be allowed.

To add, please do not take this thread off topic any more than you already have. THere is a forum for topics such as this.

Have a good day.
Blue

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
makes perfect sense. post facts...id lfs.

problem is not provision of factual information. problem is inclusion of allegations of dishonesty/animal cruelty/moral ambiguity/stupidity...all of which seem to be cast about like snuff at a wake whenever people post about a bad experience with a LFS. Usually not by the opening poster either (like in this thread). I've seen message boards closed by court order/forced to delete posts. And pay the costs of the court action.

edit : mods if this is too far off topic feel free to delete the post.

Mar 31, 2007
have you check your PH levels?? i think rams are very sensitive to PH but im not sure why mine died.. my levels were 7.2 for PH.

temp 80F
ammonia-0
nitrites-0
i didnt get to check nitrates though, but it should have been low my tank is heavily planted and i just did a water change.

the LFS had a 48 hr guarantee for the fish.. my fish died in a week.

also i read here from this site http://www.aquariumadvice.com/profiles/6_16_en.html

There are asian imported rams injected with growth hormones, causing deaths, I don't know the validity of these claims though.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Those dam A holes at pet stores, ignorant cocky disrepectful woman. They insulted your intelligence and made a bogus gimmik to not refund fish. Hopefully she gets something she deserves very shortly!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store