Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. yashinfan

Jumping swordtail

I had one that jumped out of the tank 3 times, once into the element of the stove. I had nightmares for weeks!
  2. yashinfan

swordtail(F) chases all of our fish...only when the light is on

I have noticed myself about aggression being directly linked to the light being on. Therefore, if I saw my fish harassing one another I'd just turn off all the lights and if it was during the day- throw a blanket over the tank. As for swords, I'm raising a whack load of them currently. They...
  3. yashinfan

Looking for an egglayer that is easy to breed...

Zebra danios. But I was overly successful. I'm now going to have to find homes for hundreds of fish because I'm moving away! Want some?
  4. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

Well he died. My friend thinks he had bloat. The hole in the fin did not get bigger. It also was in the middle of the fin and not the edges. The rest of the tank mates are danios and they certainly are tough fish. Thanks all.
  5. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

Why would I raise the temp above 84F?
  6. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

Someone please help? He only seems to be getting more pale and thin. Melafix did not seem to help at all.
  7. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

Well something is happening to the gourami. His scales look all cracked, and he's developing a whole in his tail fin. It has a little bit of white around it. I have done a lot of water changes so I don't think that's the problem. I guess I will add some melafix. What is this disease called?
  8. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

Blanching lettuce is just putting it into boiling water, right? Does this make the lettuce have less nutritional value?
  9. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

His colouring has been paler for about a week now. It tends to come back a little more after he eats. I wondered if maybe he wasn't getting enough greens (even tho he munches on my sword!) so I threw in some lettuce which he hasn't been able to figure how to eat yet. Diet is blood worms and...
  10. yashinfan

Gourami going pale!

I think my gourami is sick, with what I do not know. His colouring is fading and he looks very pale. His appetite is good, water changes have been regularly done. Temp is 24C/76F, pH 7.6, tank mates are zebra danios. He looks quite a bit smaller which leads me to think of parasites? Plz...
  11. yashinfan

What Gourami would work in my 45 Gallon tank with 8 Tigers?

The best way to differentiate between the male and female Opaline Gourami is by the dorsal fin. In the male, the dorsal fin is long and pointed, while the female's is shorter and rounded. The Opaline Gourami is compatible with a variety of tank mates that are of similar size and temperament...
  12. yashinfan

black spots ???

I hope it's not what my swordtail has, because I know loaches are not good with meds. The black spots on my sword just looked like freckles even, really small black spots. So apparently "parasite clear" is supposed to get rid of it if you treat fast enough.
  13. yashinfan

Random Fish Death, Ideas??

My 30 gallon has been setup since the summer so it is in no way still cycling. At the time of the death the inhabitants were 2 dwarf gouramis (bought 6 days previously), 10 zebra danios and 2 female swordtails. One of my swordtails was sick with "black dot" or "black ick" but it was not found...
  14. yashinfan

Nitrite spike!

Yea! That's a great idea. As for carbon, honestly, you don't NEED active carbon. It gets rid of toxic materials, such as ingredients in any meds you would use. You should change it every couple of months but if your tap water has no problems with heavy metals in the water then it should be...
  15. yashinfan

Nitrite spike!

Okay, so for filter this might be your problem. When you throw it out, you're getting rid of a lot of valuable bacteria that keeps your tank cycled. If there's not enough of it settled in the substrate then your tank will have to re-cycle, which it sounds like it is doing now. Instead of...
  16. yashinfan

Nitrite spike!

Alright there are many possibilities: 1) make sure all your fish are accounted for. Missing fish = possible dead fish. 2) Test your tap water, there could be problems with it recently. 3) When you changed your filter, did you take it off completely or did you just throw it out and put on a...
  17. yashinfan

Most Peaceful Fish Out There

Gah! Yes! But I need more tank space because some of them are so tiny still! I've given some away to people, like the guy who owns the chinese restaurant I go to took a couple for his 10 gallon. :o No remarks about them being dinner, OK?!!
  18. yashinfan

holy cow 57 degrees in a tropical tank....

Well maybe you could set the heater to different temperatures? Try changing it to 65F and then once it gets there, wait a couple of hours, then bring it up to low 70s. If you do it slow enough it'll be fine, just think- in the wild the sun heats up the water during the day and at night it cools...
  19. yashinfan

I have about 200 of them, and I've never ever seen one fight. I'm sure if you threw in a fish with a really nice tail something might happen but as long as you have fish that are compatible then it's all good. My gouramis are really peaceful, they don't do anything at all. lol.
  20. yashinfan

Zebra danios
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store