Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. C

Do I have too many fish for a 10 gallon aquarium?

WAY too many fish. What kind of loaches are they?
  2. C

Cat fell in tank. Long story.

Holy Moly at the Clowns!!! I've never seen so many in one tank. I count thirteen, is that right?
  3. C

Round 2 **long post warning**

Huh? Are you talking about being cycled? The bacteria load has nothing at all to do with ridding the tank of gravel dust. And if your tank had nothing LIVING in it, then there's a slim(very slim) possibility enough bacteria was present to sustain a full bioload of fish. Please look at the...
  4. C

Another Cycle Question, sorry.

You don't need to worry about water changes while cycling. And your nitrates are not so important at this point. When cycling is complete(i.e. ammonia/nitrite levels drop in 12 hours or less), you do a 90%water change before adding fish. This should correct any nitrAte problems you have...
  5. C

Then your tank was never properly cycled. This happens with many people new to the hobby. A tank must be cycled(i.e. beneficial bacteria must be working) in order to sustain fish. THe bacteria process the ammonia and nitrites the fish give off. Essentially, you could have just put your fish...
  6. C

Clown Loaches will still not be happy in a 40. They need at least a 75 to start out in, then a 150 once they get larger. Why not try a zebra loach? They stay smaller and are just as entertaining. About the cycling thing, it only said in your post that you set it up empty for four weeks...
  7. C

Did you cycle the first tank? What were the water parameters when the fish died? Nitrites? Ammonia, etc? I know that with Nitrite/Ammonia poisoning, fish can be seen gasping for air at the surface. But you did do water changes, so it seems unlikely. I think the combination of a possible...
  8. C

New 10 gallon tank

This will help you with fishless cycling. I used this method and it worked out beautifully. http://aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15 This explains it in a very clear fashion. Good luck!
  9. C

Cycling my 29gal. w/ ammonia or Bio-Spira?

http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=729 there you go.
  10. C

What kinda goldfish do I have?!?

Goldfish typically need 20-30 gallons of water EACH. Be prepared for big tanks.
  11. C

Daughters new betta doesn't look right

One more thing--here's a good place for all your betta questions-- http://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=39 It also has some good posts on proper housing, feeding, etc.
  12. C

Daughters new betta doesn't look right

You mentioned a problem keeping the temp stable. If you don't have a heater, you should get one. They're really inexpensive for such a small tank, maybe $10-15. This will keep your water temperature stable year round. Good luck!
  13. C

Epoxy for painting a background?

If you could mix two colors, red and green would give you brown.
  14. C

10g Lobster?

Are the blue crayfish injected with dye, or do they come by their color naturally? Anyway, they are uber-cool and I would love to have one but unfortunately I'm planning a community. They wouldn't do well in there, right?
  15. C

Problems associated with very tall showtanks?

I would be concerned about lighting if you want live plants. It seems that the lights would have to be super strong. But I've never even SEEN a tank that big, except for in aquariums. I'm sure it would be quite stunning! Good luck!
  16. C

Help File: Tank information

I have an empty 90 gallon at the moment. It has one of those cabinet style stands. The only thing I worry about it how the cabinet is open at the top. SHould I put some plywood or something on top of the cabinet? I just have nightmares of the bottom breaking under the pressure with nothing...
  17. C

Help File: Tank information

I have an empty 90 gallon at the moment. It has one of those cabinet style stands. The only thing I worry about it how the cabinet is open at the top. SHould I put some plywood or something on top of the cabinet? I just have nightmares of the bottom breaking under the pressure with nothing...
  18. C

the game plan

Yes, you're right, wetman. The clowns will take quite a while to outgrow a 29. However, I don't think a school of Clowns AND a school of Corys would be such a good idea. That's what I was trying to say. So pick one or the other, IMO. Rich, you MUST use dechlorinator every time you do a...
  19. C

the game plan

This is just my two cents, but your Clown Loaches will quickly outgrow your tank, especially if you add corys. Why not focus on mid-upper strata fishes instead? The corys would still be a good idea, but nix on the loaches as they can grow to 10-12" in their exceedingly long lifespans(10-15...
  20. C

using peat moss under flourite good or bad?

So where would one buy appropriate peat? I've been getting things ready for a 90gallon I've got and I'd like to add peat in the substrate. Do you just get it from a garden supply?
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store