Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. loaches r cool

dying pearl gouramis, any clues?

Some of the symptons of columnaris match, some kind dont. It might be. How easy does that spread? So far no other fish show signs, just the pearls, and they are all gone now.
  2. loaches r cool

The pH swings are due to CO2 injection, so unless the belief that CO2 induced pH swings are not apparent to fish (because of no TDS changes) is wrong, then that shouldnt be an issue. Although high nitrates I am sure might be somewhat unpleasant to the fish, I do not think they would cause the...
  3. loaches r cool

Well I suspect tomorrow I will have no pearls left. Down to one today, and despite it looking fine earlier, just now before the lights went off I saw it was hiding, and once I got a good look at it it showed similar characteristics to the other. Only this one had the front half of its face turn...
  4. loaches r cool

show me a filter that does not move top water

Hmmm, I just checked online and I guess the XP3's are just going for crazy high amount right now :huh: But to answer your question my first XP3 when I was brand new to the forum, from petsolutions.com for $95. Then when I found lots shop at big als and they had it for $88. Then last year I got...
  5. loaches r cool

show me a filter that does not move top water

$100 for an XP3? Thats more expensive than any of my XP3s I've bought.
  6. loaches r cool

powerheads

I like the propeller pumps myself, never done a small tank but I wonder if the Koralia Nano would work well on that size? Probably the 1-2 might work well too, nano might be too small, dont really know. I've only used the big ones.
  7. loaches r cool

Back of tank: Paint, Printed Background, or leave plain?

Depends on the type of tank, location, whats in it, etc. I'd love to have a nice room divider tank, clear on both sides. Maybe starfire glass to boot. If its just up against a wall or an in-wall tank, then I like backgrounds. For a tank with lots of scaping, plants, etc. I like black...
  8. loaches r cool

Well, I have some bad news for my 240. I had 6 pearl gouramis in there for about 1-2 months and just this past week they have started dying on me. Three have passed and one looks like its ready to go. This seems to be something that happens quick, I've watched the tank everyday and no signs the...
  9. loaches r cool

My 240g tank journal

Thanks for the compliments guys. I dont really have any updates, ever since I flipped the switch on then I've focused my attentions elsewhere. I dont have much time off over the next couple months but I'll try to take some pics, etc. here and there. Some of the things like building the canopy...
  10. loaches r cool

should i buy this?

Jones - do a search for odyssea lighting, especially on ebay. Youll find that their prices are indeed half or less of normal fixtures, this is usual. And if you search hard, especially on places like reefcentral, etc, you might uncover some interesting threads about them catching on fire. But...
  11. loaches r cool

Noisy Overflow

That looks pretty tight for space. I dont suppose you could fit a durso in there? Perhaps the stockman might fit, not sure, havent used it before, or also the hofer gurgle buster - but I think that might need more vertical space. Do you have a valve on the drain and tried closing it slightly...
  12. loaches r cool

Ammonia education

When you treat with prime, the ammonia is still there even though its 'locked up' and no longer toxic. I think there is an issue with some test kits still showing the ammonia, but not sure.
  13. loaches r cool

Whats your Day Job?

Yeah, some other companies I deal with have that rotation, I think the main difference is you dont have the on call week (which is what I am on right now), the rest looks the same just shifted a little differently. Yeah, the hell week sucks... nothing gets done around my house that week, no...
  14. loaches r cool

Nitrite in established tank. Need advice, quick.

I cant distinguish between 40 and 80 so your better than I lol. The API nitrate test is one in particular that isnt very accurate.
  15. loaches r cool

Whats your Day Job?

Whatever it takes to pay for the fish tanks... :laugh: Yeah I guess the OP was too specific about 'day' job, lol. I work rotating shift. Always 6-6, both day and night. It perfectly balances out to 40hrs a week plus we work the exact same amount of nights and days for every day of the week...
  16. loaches r cool

Whats your Day Job?

I work for the power company, keeping powerplants in line, the lights on, and lots of carbon into the atmosphere :silly: But dont blame me when the power goes out... :uhoh:
  17. loaches r cool

Anyone from Ohio ?????

There are / were lots from Ohio. Two years ago members here got together and had a meet at the columbus zoo even, but many of those folks arent here anymore.
  18. loaches r cool

Which Powerhead Would Be Best??

The kit is called Sure Flow 1600 (for the propeller mod) and Sure Grip (for the magnetic holder). Take a look for example at http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=algae+free+sure There are also a few other brand kits that are basically the same thing. You...
  19. loaches r cool

Which Powerhead Would Be Best??

If your just wanting water circulation I'd look into one of the propeller style pump myself, like the Koralia. They flow a lot more water, but it is much more spread out to give a much softer actual flow as compared to the 'jets' many powerheads put out. Plus the koralia's have a magnetic base...
  20. loaches r cool

xmas or java moss

I am really thrilled with how my xmas moss is taking off. I like it much better than java, and I assume (and hope) its less invasive. I have never seen any moss other than java at the lfs though, I got the xmas on the forums. As soon as the weather isnt freezing, and I sign up with paypal...
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store