Search results

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
  1. C

HOB filter not working

I knew it would happen eventually and I've been keeping an eye on it. The roots went through the filter pad and go down into the tank some time ago, so I am surprised that the filter worked for as long as it did.
  2. C

HOB filter not working

I was performing water changes today and noticed that the HOB filter on the 29G tank in my office wasn't pumping water. I pulled the neck out and had a bit of a surprise. 4MwgaFOARN8 A few months ago, I put a piece of a plant (it's some common house plant vine - the name escapes me) It is...
  3. C

Picture of Rusty's Teeth

It must be the dab of whitening toothpaste I drop in the tank every morning and every evening.
  4. C

Picture of Rusty's Teeth

I'm a little afraid to put my hand in the tank now for fear that I won't get it back.
  5. C

Picture of Rusty's Teeth

That is very nice. I have a Johanni in the tank with my brown fish. He is one active fish, and it must be like winning the lottery to get that awesome picture of him. I have had no luck taking a picture of him.
  6. C

Picture of Rusty's Teeth

Thanks for the comments, all. Here is a picture from the side: Any idea what he is?
  7. C

Picture of Rusty's Teeth

No, I'm not sure he's a rusty - I think he may have been labelled that way in the store and the name stuck. I googled around for pics of rusty cichlids, and indeed I don't think it's a rusty now. It has a body shape nearly identical to a red zebra cichlid, but he's a very dark brown...
  8. C

Picture of Rusty's Teeth

I was taking pictures of some of my fish today and got an interesting shot of my rusty cichlid. To be honest, I did not realize they had teeth. Certainly not teeth like that.
  9. C

Saltwater adventures at Disney World

So, normally I am a FW guy, but I had some cool videos of saltwater fish whilest at Disney World last week... Here is the eel display: 2AdcHAYzFi8 Next, is the frog fish display: 7lL0lbX7Io4 Finally, one of the water parks there has a lagoon you can snorkel in that is stocked with fish...
  10. C

Money Making Fish?

You need some room, but tropheus duboisi bring some money - they are in the $30/fish range at a store near me. They also seem to sell in that price range on aquabid.
  11. C

African cichlids and Hippos at Disney Wprld

I wasn't able to get much of it, but that hippo was having a ball - barrel rolls, running laps around a boulder and watching us. It is very interesting that they don't use they back legs when running underwater - as I think about it, it makes sense, but it was surprising as I watched him running.
  12. C

African cichlids and Hippos at Disney Wprld

While I was at Disney World, I took this video of the African cichlid tanks at Animal Kingdom. A hippo in the big tank put on quite a show: o39taSWu9Tg
  13. C

How are you taking your shots?

I think a lot of it has to do with lighting. There is a good thread here: http://www.aquatic-photography.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15038 a cheap flash setup. If you poke around that site (a sister site to this site), you'll find quite a few pointers on taking good pictures.
  14. C

Videos from a trip to the Tennesse Aquarium

I should also point out that the Tennessee Aquarium has an excellent youtube page here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TennesseeAquarium where they have lots of behind the scenes videos. They currently have a baby penguin, so lots of coverage of that lately.
  15. C

I also live in the Atlanta area. I agree with you - the ATL Aquarium is nice, but doesn't compare to Tennessee. If you ever have the opportunity to go, there is a Ripley's (believe it or not) aquarium up in Pigeon Forge, TN. I didn't expect much, but it is really very nice. Not to the level...
  16. C

Thanks. It is a panasonic zs3. Not too bad for a point and shoot camera.
  17. C

I went to the Tennessee Aquarium yesterday and took some video of the fish while I was there. I think my favorites were the cuddlefish and the leafy sea dragons. Part 1: 8BbGQtT0xXs Part 2: 8pMFlwIs8D0 Part 3: lD52IS3Fh_w
  18. C

Aquariums for the wealthy

I found this article on high end decorative aquariums on nytimes.com and thought aquariacentral might be interested... http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/19/garden/19aqua.html?_r=1
  19. C

Pleco that eats like a regular fish

Thanks. I am pretty ashamed of the state of the plants right now. My CO2 bottle has sat empty for about 2 months now... I used to drive past an Airgas office on my way to work, but I have been working from home lately. The bandit cichlids are constantly rescaping the gravel, moving the...
  20. C

Pleco that eats like a regular fish

I fed him some sinking wafers yesterday and he was quite happy with them. After eating them, he still did go up and eat when I fed the other fish later in the evening, but he wasn't as active in pushing the other fish out of the way.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store