Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

265 Gallon FOWLR build out.

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by gman2012, Aug 22, 2008.

1. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

So after a long delay in getting the basement finished, which was started last Summer, I have finally started to get my 265 Gallon tank in place and will start getting it setup over the next few weeks... I hope to have it up and running with the fish that I have in holding tanks(1 Volitan Lion, 1 Blue Spot(Peacock) Grouper, 1 Waspfish, and 1 Dampiera Basslet/Dottyback) by the 1st weekend in October as our First child is having her 1st birthday... So I am sure we will have a bunch of people over and I would like to have the tank up and running. The nice thing is I have 2 40 Gallon breeders up and running for the last couple of months so the cycle for the tank should be pretty quick. i will try to get some pics on this weekend as the tank is pretty cool looking as it was an old MarineLand display tank from a local Petco. It is going to give me a great chance to make a bunch of caves and islands and open space for the fish to take advantage of. The tank is built into the wall and is going to look really nice once it is completed. The tank is 8 feet long, about 20 " high and about 4 feet from front to back to give you an idea of how much floor space the tank will have(pretty much a 4'X8' sheet of plywood). The Corners are cut back on an 45 degree angle so the front is not all flat(doesn't make sense now but when you see the pics you will understand). It sticks out about 15"s into the room and will have a ton of depth to the tank. I am sure I will have a couple of questions/requests on opinions as to how the filtration should be hooked up... but we will get to that later... Again I will try to get some pics on very soon.

2. almo75

almo75 AC Members

Electronic replacement parts distribution. Account
    Sounds intriguing. I will watching for pics!

3. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

here are some pics... I will add some more as I get further along.

Attached Files:

4. wantvws

wantvws AC Members

Pipe organ builder
    WOW! :jaw:That is cool. I can't wait to see this one progress. What direction are you going with it? Is that another in wall tank in the background of one of the pics?
    Robbie

5. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Carry on ...

Boy - this should be good!

6. BToast

BToast AC Members

Very sweet indeed! I'm sure many of use will be watching this one.

7. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

Yep that is a 6 foot 125 Gallon FW with some assorted South American chiclids and an Asian Leaf Turtle, yes i realize that does not make for a very natural scape but what can you do, and yes that is also placed into the wall as well. I will try to get some pics of that out as well in another tank thread. I also have another 4 foot 125 upstairs with a 7 inch Sailfin Tang, a purple firefish, 2 3 stripe damsels and a blue yellow tail damsel as well. and the only coral in that one is two groupings of sun corals, one yellow and the other orange(picked both up for $30 and there are more then 25 heads total....not to bad). If all goes well and it continues to spread I want to put some of them down in the big tank.

As you can see in my writeup above I am mostly going for a Predator tank with the lion, grouper, and the Dampiera basslet. I have not decided on what else but I may also put the Sailfin Tang in once everything is setup to give him a nice large tank to swim in. I kind of feel bad having him in a 4 foot tank... I am sure he would love it in the 265... may also go with an eel at some point but we will see.

8. wantvws

wantvws AC Members

Pipe organ builder
    Oops! I'm such a doorknob. Apparently it didn't register with me even thought I read it:D
    It really is a sweet set-up and I can't wait to see more pics!
    Robbie

9. msjinkzd

msjinkzd AC Members

wife and mother
    WOW! What an amazing project! i cannot wait to see how this pans out.

10. dingraha

dingraha Fish Fondler

Service Advisor for a Mazda dealership
    WOW! That is absolutely beautiful! Makes my built in look like poo....:headshake2:

11. mandy21

mandy21 THE REEFER GODDESS

Very Nice! Can't wait for updates.

12. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

Here are some updates. Nothing sexy yet but I am trying to make this as easy as I can to clean as well as take apart which is not making it any easier on my wallet... The few fittings I have in the below pics cost me around $100 already and I still have the outputs to go... I am hoping to have the plumbing mostly done this week and have fresh water in the tank next weekend to test for leaks as well as any potential flow/noise issues... I also need to figure out if I will convert my wet/dry sumps to refug's or convert my 40 gallon Breeders instead... not sure how much drilling I want to do...

Attached Files:

13. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

oh and i almost forgot about the wasp fish that I have.... I may have to setup a separate tank just for him any maybe a dwarf lion or two... darn another tank.... that is just to bad... I am just not sure if he will be to small when the lion gets bigger...

14. kcress

kcress AC Members

Those are nice looking couplings.

Be aware that they are GREATLY increasing the bending moment on your plumbing. This means any weight at all on the line going up/down is going to put a large strain on your bulkheads and the rear glass panel of your tank. Downward pressure on the line will ultimately be trying to tear the back panel's silicone seal.

You need to make sure the rear vertical pipe is mechanically tied to the stand in a manner that supports the weight of all the plumbing above.

15. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

thanks for the tip. Since I am just dry fitting everything right now it was already appearing that the whole section was very heavy. I will be able to tie in a brace from the middle brace of the stand so it should be pretty easy to add in just to the right of the down tube of the overflows. Thanks again for the advice.

16. WaywardSon

WaywardSon Carry on ...

What a project - keep the updates coming!

17. Catpicklesdog

Catpicklesdog Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Can't wait to follow the progress on this one!!

18. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

Here are a couple updates... I will do a couple different updates with pics to explain everything... First are the overflows that will be in the tank. Nice thing is they will hopefully be covered with coraline and disappear into the background. On the top I have placed drain covers to slow the flow and maybe even some of the noise as well. I also plan on installing a stand pipe along the back end and you will see some pics of that as well. Please make any comments if you do not think that will work well. Please realize in those last pics that is just a dry fit and not all the pipe was cut correctly. I will have that pipe above the water line.

Attached Files:

19. gman2012

gman2012 AC Members

The next few pics are of the output pipes that I have just completed as well as the overflow down pipes that I have so far. After many, many, many trips to the hardware store, oh did I say Many trips, I got MOST of the parts that i needed to get this completed. I say that as I still need 3 more parts that I will get during my lunch break tomorrow. you will see where they are missing in the pics. You can also see the filter that came with the tank that I will still use along with a refuge and another sump that I might try some coral frags since I will have some extra room under the tank.

Attached Files:

20. kcress

kcress AC Members

Plumbing is so fun.. Really!
    With plastic it's fast. You see results in minutes. Not like steel pipe or carpentry.

You sure you don't want something flexible hooked to that pump to reduce conducted noise and vibration going up the manifold?

You aren't relying on a check valve there are you?