Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Angelfish laid eggs and I need help!

Discussion in 'Angel Fish & Discus' started by johney66, Sep 18, 2011.

1. johney66

johney66 Registered User

:help2: Today I noticed my Angelfish laying eggs on the filter intake, so now I have a few questions...

1) Today was supposed to be tank cleaning day but if I lower the water level below the eggs for a 20-30 min will it kill the eggs?

2) Will the parents eat the fry or will they (the fry) hide in the Parrots Feather and other plants to hide from predators?

3) Will the other fish eat the eggs?

4) What do I feed the fry, just grind up flake food to a fine powder?

5) Can you tell which is the female?

:eek:mg:I was not prepared for this, any help would be great!

Attached Files:

#1 johney66, Sep 18, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. TheFishBoss97

TheFishBoss97 AC Members

High School
    wow!:) beautiful angels

i would remove that whitish egg asap as it is infected, and may infect others, filter intake draws in lots of stuff, good: currentl; bad: stuff

i think they might not parent raise, so u should get them into a small container with a sponge filter or gentle aeration, meth. blue would help a lot
    or u can let them attempt to raise on their own, and if they eat them, they eat them, and u'll have more soon

and also, don't change anything until the eggs hatch

leave lights on, don't add water, don't do a WC, don't take out other fish, as this can lead to stress to the parents of some unknown scary thing like the net, new water, etc. fish are stupid:) so they might eat the eggs, this happened to me on my 1st batch, just leave everything the same...............hopefully, the tank isn't in the bedroom

3. TheFishBoss97

TheFishBoss97 AC Members

High School
    and u should also watch for a while, and remove the white eggs gently or the others will fall off................

use a syringe

if u want them to live for sure

remove the parents for 20 min, or more. and during that time, make a temp. divider in the tank out of anything fish safe

slate works nicely for a while, or maybe some safe plastic sheet with holes u can poke through so the water doesn't stay still...............

4. TheFishBoss97

TheFishBoss97 AC Members

High School
    and the female is the one on the left and the male on the right i think in the first pic

bc the female seems to be laying more eggs, while the male ferts. them.............

good luck:)

5. petluvr

petluvr AC Members

mgr of local pizza hut
    With angels they will usually eat the first several batches of eggs.

6. jetajockey

jetajockey AC Members

jet-a jockey
    o_O

If the eggs are on the filter intake you aren't going to be able to move them till they hatch.

The parents should pick off the white eggs, and if they don't they usually figure out to move the wigglers when they hatch.

I don't do anything different when my angelfish are spawning, I still do water changes, lights go on and off at the same time, all of that. If they are bad parents they are bad parents. I've not once had to do the methylene blue thing with angelfish eggs.

If they are in a community setting then the only thing you can do to keep the fry alive is move them to a growout tank once they hatch. It's pretty easy just use a turkey baster. Make sure you put them in a tank filled with the same tank water that they came out of so that there's no shock. Once they are free swimming and being fed multiple times a day, water changes daily/every other day are almost mandatory and be sure to age/aerate the water before adding it.

I've raised several angelfish spawns and some have done better than others, but keeping it simple is the best bet.

7. TheFishBoss97

TheFishBoss97 AC Members

High School
    okay, i guess u might have diff. experiences, but both ways prob work, it just seems to me on the 1st batch of eggs, u get better odds of survival for the fry with no changes? not sure though, haven't tested that out yet..........

meth blue is if u want to raise artificially if you don't have enough room for more pairs.......

parents usually catch on to raising fry, or attempting to do that after a few attempts.........thank god they aren't humans;).......lol

8. jetajockey

jetajockey AC Members

jet-a jockey
    I've had some pairs that were total fail at spawning, either a terrible fertilization rate or just crappy parenting. Some get it, some don't, some learn it, some won't. I try to keep things simple though and then make changes as needed. If they start spawning, keep them healthy and happy and they'll do it again every week or two for quite a while.

9. TheFishBoss97

TheFishBoss97 AC Members

High School
    cool, maybe i'll try that with my pair;) they get spooked so easily...........i turned off the lights and when i got up for a midnight snack like 2 hours later, all gone.:(

10. johney66

johney66 Registered User

Thanks for the quick input guys! I read your responses this morning but am just getting the chance to respond.
    These two seem to be being very good parents! They have all of their tank mates TERRIFIED of them so all the other fish stay over to one side of the tank, every now and then I will hear a fish hit the side of the tank as one of the Golds chases them, poor guys! They even "puff up" at me when I go to the tank to get a closer look! Lol...

When I turned on the lights this morning there were even more eggs there than last night, looks like maybe 200!!!:22_yikes: There are a few more white ones there too, about 15 but I am afraid I will damage the other eggs if I try to remove them (they're so close together) but I can try to with a straight pin or something if y'all think I should. The parents aren't removing them though or at least haven't yet but they let me remove the Xmass Moss and a Java Fern from the intake last night with no problem.
    Unfortunately I don't have another tank to put them (wigglers/fry) in when they hatch out. I can maybe get one in a couple of days though.

With the way the tank is set up I can't put any kind of divider in there without some rearranging so I hope since it seems they are trying to be good parents they will protect the fry until I can get them another tank or they're big enough to make it on their own.
    Nature may just have to take it's course this round. :irked:

I did a water test this morning and everything looks OK but the tank is starting to look a little green. I guess that will be OK for now and I'm not even adding any ferts right now because I don't want to upset the balance of what is going on in the tank at this point. As long as my tests read OK I can wait to clean and do a w/c... Also, I am afraid the eggs will dry out and die if I expose them to air for too long.

Do I have to hatch them live brine shrimp or can I grind up flake food to a fine powder?

Btw, when I got home from work there were even MORE eggs and it looks like they're still laying! WOW!

11. johney66

johney66 Registered User

One last question, do I have to worry about the fry being sucked into the filter intake? I could probably shut it off for a few days with the tank being so heavily planted, thanks!

12. johney66

johney66 Registered User

Thanks! I just make sure they have a very varied diet, clean water and loving care...

Thankfully it isn't, I like my tanks in the living room where we spend most of our time because I like looking at them...
    Also, on the light fixture I have blue led moonlights. I blacked them out some so their not quite as bright but they still put off a little light to emulate moonlight. I turn them on so the smaller fish can keep an eye on the preditors but there not so bright as to light up the whole tank like a reef tank is...

Btw, I tried to remove one of the white eggs and another egg fell off with it, if that's going to happen with all of them then their chances are better left as is...

13. jetajockey

jetajockey AC Members

jet-a jockey
    Don't let the eggs/wigglers be exposed to air at all if you can help it.

As far as feeding goes, the fry are usually large enough to eat BBS right away, but I primarily use microworms since they are simpler to keep a culture of and to feed. I recommend using some sort of live food, they will transition to prepared foods but the live foods keep teh water quality better and they instinctually go after wiggling things.
    You need to wrap the intake with filter floss or get a sponge to go over it. I get aquaclear foam inserts and cut a hole in them and put them over my filter intakes.

14. johney66

johney66 Registered User

Thanks David,
    I ordered micro-worms off eBay this morning and they already shipped, I should have them in a couple of days ( I hope they arrive soon enough so the babies don't starve). I am going to wrap the intake this afternoon when I get home.
    When I turned on the lights this morning there were a few less eggs than yesterday:mad: so they either fell off or someone ate them. I think I will leave the lights on for now so momma can watch them better to try to avoid anymore being eaten if that's what happened. They should be hatching soon if what I read online about them hatching in 60 to 72 hours is correct.
    I should have wigglers by tomorrow afternoon:y220e:.

15. Star_Rider

Star_Rider AC Moderators
    Staff Member

PC/network tech
    eggs should hatch out in about 72 hrs.. the wigglers will usually be tended by the parents unless you move them.. if you plan on letting the parents attempt to raise the fry..usually best done in a breeding tank with only the parents ...
    many will remove the fry.. I usually wait till the wigglers are free swimmers..(about 72 hrs after wiggler stage)
    it is usually around this time the fry may need feeding..(is there is egg sac still present the free swimmers may not need to eat)

16. johney66

johney66 Registered User

Thanks Ed!
    I would like to move them to my snail tank but although the water comes from the same tap and is treated the same it ALWAYS tests out different across all three tanks for some reason. I may try to get another 10gal to move the fry into filled with water from the community tank because I do have other fish in the community that will try to dine on them. Mommy and daddy can't protect them all...
    Question... So to be clear, you are saying that I should wait until they turn from wigglers into fry to move them to another tank?
    Also, will I notice a difference in appearance after they "change"?

17. TheFishBoss97

TheFishBoss97 AC Members

High School
    +1 on using the foam insert, it works great, and yeah, the babies only need feeding after their egg sacs dissappear

and btw, the less white eggs u remove, the more white eggs u get as it spreads IME

i would carefully using either a syringe or a plastic tweezer try more slowly

18. Star_Rider

Star_Rider AC Moderators
    Staff Member

PC/network tech
    you do not have to wait with wigglers, you can move the fry at wiggler stage if you prefer.. but IME if you try to remove some of the wigglers the parents may perceive this as a threat and may eat the young or move them.. ( your mileage will vary)
    IME the parents do a pretty good job raising the fry to free swimmers so,
    I prefer to let the parents take the fry to free swimming before I make the decision to move them...raising fry is time consuming.. if you want to try it..

19. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread but I also have eggs from my angels! My question is...will the parents raise past just free swimming like Discus will? I had read that about the 3 week point you should remove them. What are your experiences with that?

20. stephcps

stephcps AC Members

Oh and my fish took care of the white ones themselves. I read they would do that so I have just watched and sure enough they have eaten them.