Angelfish laid eggs and I need help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
One last question, do I have to worry about the fry being sucked into the filter intake? I could probably shut it off for a few days with the tank being so heavily planted, thanks!

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
wow!:) beautiful angels
Thanks! I just make sure they have a very varied diet, clean water and loving care...

hopefully, the tank isn't in the bedroom
Thankfully it isn't, I like my tanks in the living room where we spend most of our time because I like looking at them...
Also, on the light fixture I have blue led moonlights. I blacked them out some so their not quite as bright but they still put off a little light to emulate moonlight. I turn them on so the smaller fish can keep an eye on the preditors but there not so bright as to light up the whole tank like a reef tank is...

Btw, I tried to remove one of the white eggs and another egg fell off with it, if that's going to happen with all of them then their chances are better left as is...

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I did a water test this morning and everything looks OK but the tank is starting to look a little green. I guess that will be OK for now and I'm not even adding any ferts right now because I don't want to upset the balance of what is going on in the tank at this point. As long as my tests read OK I can wait to clean and do a w/c... Also, I am afraid the eggs will dry out and die if I expose them to air for too long.

Do I have to hatch them live brine shrimp or can I grind up flake food to a fine powder?

Btw, when I got home from work there were even MORE eggs and it looks like they're still laying! WOW!
Don't let the eggs/wigglers be exposed to air at all if you can help it.

As far as feeding goes, the fry are usually large enough to eat BBS right away, but I primarily use microworms since they are simpler to keep a culture of and to feed. I recommend using some sort of live food, they will transition to prepared foods but the live foods keep teh water quality better and they instinctually go after wiggling things.
One last question, do I have to worry about the fry being sucked into the filter intake? I could probably shut it off for a few days with the tank being so heavily planted, thanks!
You need to wrap the intake with filter floss or get a sponge to go over it. I get aquaclear foam inserts and cut a hole in them and put them over my filter intakes.

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Thanks David,
I ordered micro-worms off eBay this morning and they already shipped, I should have them in a couple of days ( I hope they arrive soon enough so the babies don't starve). I am going to wrap the intake this afternoon when I get home.
When I turned on the lights this morning there were a few less eggs than yesterday:mad: so they either fell off or someone ate them. I think I will leave the lights on for now so momma can watch them better to try to avoid anymore being eaten if that's what happened. They should be hatching soon if what I read online about them hatching in 60 to 72 hours is correct.
I should have wigglers by tomorrow afternoon:y220e:.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
eggs should hatch out in about 72 hrs.. the wigglers will usually be tended by the parents unless you move them.. if you plan on letting the parents attempt to raise the fry..usually best done in a breeding tank with only the parents ...
many will remove the fry.. I usually wait till the wigglers are free swimmers..(about 72 hrs after wiggler stage)
it is usually around this time the fry may need feeding..(is there is egg sac still present the free swimmers may not need to eat)

johney66

Sep 13, 2011
Arlington, TX.
Real Name
Johney
Thanks Ed!
I would like to move them to my snail tank but although the water comes from the same tap and is treated the same it ALWAYS tests out different across all three tanks for some reason. I may try to get another 10gal to move the fry into filled with water from the community tank because I do have other fish in the community that will try to dine on them. Mommy and daddy can't protect them all...
Question... So to be clear, you are saying that I should wait until they turn from wigglers into fry to move them to another tank?
Also, will I notice a difference in appearance after they "change"?

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
+1 on using the foam insert, it works great, and yeah, the babies only need feeding after their egg sacs dissappear

and btw, the less white eggs u remove, the more white eggs u get as it spreads IME

i would carefully using either a syringe or a plastic tweezer try more slowly

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Thanks Ed!
I would like to move them to my snail tank but although the water comes from the same tap and is treated the same it ALWAYS tests out different across all three tanks for some reason. I may try to get another 10gal to move the fry into filled with water from the community tank because I do have other fish in the community that will try to dine on them. Mommy and daddy can't protect them all...
Question... So to be clear, you are saying that I should wait until they turn from wigglers into fry to move them to another tank?
Also, will I notice a difference in appearance after they "change"?
you do not have to wait with wigglers, you can move the fry at wiggler stage if you prefer.. but IME if you try to remove some of the wigglers the parents may perceive this as a threat and may eat the young or move them.. ( your mileage will vary)
IME the parents do a pretty good job raising the fry to free swimmers so,
I prefer to let the parents take the fry to free swimming before I make the decision to move them...raising fry is time consuming.. if you want to try it..

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I don't mean to hijack the OPs thread but I also have eggs from my angels! My question is...will the parents raise past just free swimming like Discus will? I had read that about the 3 week point you should remove them. What are your experiences with that?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Oh and my fish took care of the white ones themselves. I read they would do that so I have just watched and sure enough they have eaten them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store