Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

channel cats

Discussion in 'Indoor/Outdoor Ponds' started by jpierce3, Aug 8, 2011.

1. jpierce3

jpierce3 AC Members

What would be the recommended minimum depth for a channel cat to winter over in SW Ohio?

I have two ponds. One is 6' L x 4' W x 3' D with nothing but bull frogs in it right now. I need to get the filter running again, but this was my idea. Get small channels to grow out from now till mid spring. Some will go into a 1 acre pond, others go to other ponds for stocking, and keep a couple in the small pond probably becoming dinner at the end of next summer. Then just start all over again.

Anyway, need to know if they will winter over in the 3' deep pond?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike Large Member

Factory worker
    Im no expert but I think that small of a pond would freeze solid in winter.

3. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    If you run aeration, it should be ok--but without a bubbler, yes, it will freeze completely over and likely kill the fish.

4. jpierce3

jpierce3 AC Members

yes it will freeze over considering the big pond we have been ice staking on. Running a bubbler or floating heater won't be a problem. Frost ine is 18" & should be a couple inches of silt & debris to hibernate in. Thanks.

5. SubRosa

SubRosa Banned

Freeze over isn't a problem. Freezing solid top to bottom is. Check with a plumber in your area to see how deep the frostline is and go at least 1' deeper.

6. jpierce3

jpierce3 AC Members

Yeah frost line is 18". Sounds like it will work. My issue now is that I don't know if I can get a lot of less than 100 3-5".......at least not locally. Bugger, I wanted to half that....

I'll keep working on it. thanks guys