Cryptoheros nanoluteus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Fwiw my experience is limited. One problem that I've never actually heard mentioned elsewhere but which I experienced was skewed sex ratios. My first batch was a group of 12 1/2" fry. Upon growing them out I had 10 reach adulthood, all females! The odds of that are very slim indeed if the spawn they came from had any reasonable sex ratio. The second problem I encountered was because the fish really live up to the "crypto" portion of their name. They hide their spawning site as well as any Pleco. I'm certain I missed at least two spawns once I finally got some going, because I didn't recognize the meaning of the color change they exhibit. Once I did, every time I saw a female exhibiting the breeding coloration, I found a spawn. I have heard it said that they're very sensitive to water quality, but I'll have to admit to having missed 3 consecutive weekly changes on the tank I just found my last spawn in. The tank is heavily planted and fairly lightly stocked and "sensitivity" can certainly be relative. I find the fry easy to raise but slower growing than most other Cichlids I've worked with.

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Other reasons why they are uncommon are that they are a CARES fish and are considered critically endangered in the wild. I have also read that they tend to have small spawns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
You would think though that with how popular nano tanks are becoming you would think this guy would become more popular. Small size makes for it being able to be house in a smaller tank granted not like the mini nano tanks which are like 2.3 gallons and stuff like that.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the info really appreciate that, I didn't know they are on the CARES list and these are the off spring of Rusty Wessels wildcaught Nano's.. so i must keep them going then..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
No doubt Gabe it will be cool to send you some on the other side of the states man.. Knowing that the hobby still has them going man..

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool deal well heres to healthy fish keeping so i can send you some man..

Andrewtfw

AC Members
Nov 13, 2011
Germantown, MD
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for the info really appreciate that, I didn't know they are on the CARES list and these are the off spring of Rusty Wessels wildcaught Nano's.. so i must keep them going then..
Glad I could be of assistance. Please keep them going and spread them around.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store