Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

female betta is about to explode, help!

Discussion in 'Anabantoids' started by LiveMermaid07, Apr 13, 2011.

1. LiveMermaid07

LiveMermaid07 Bloody Mary. As in, hand me one.

classified
    I have a female betta that has been munching out on live worms and her egg sac has grown to humongous proportions. She looks like she is going to explode! I'm worried for her as she is having trouble swimming she has gotten so big. She stays mostly on a plastic leaf near the surface so she doesn't have to travel to breathe.

Is there any safe way to encourage her to expel the eggs?

Without using a male, none of mine are ready for mating.

2. Jumko

Jumko AC Members

Female bettas that aren't bred will eventually re-absorb their eggs. I suggest fasting her and feeding a cooked pea.

3. LiveMermaid07

classified
    really?

one of my other girls finally squirted hers, but I have no idea how/why

I gave her some pea yesterday, should I just fast her now?

4. Lady Ns

Lady Ns Critter Crazy

I work at McDonalds
    Stick a male next to her, not in the same tank. She'll get uber excited & just go 'poof!'. Least that's what I used to do to my over-producing ladies.

5. LiveMermaid07

classified
    I tried both, I fed her a piece of slightly cooked (yes it was cooled off) pea once a week and fasted her, and I tried dangling ;) a boy near her, but neither worked.
    She died.
    :cry:

Funny thing, the boy, Charlie, found her interesting, he didn't flare or freak out (well he stopped freaking out after I gave him a plant lol - I keep the cups they come in and they 'dangle' from the lid so I can get new smaller fish used to the tank temp before dumping them in - ), he just checked her out and floated around in his cup.
    Out of curiosity I later moved the cup over to the sorority to see what he would do, he would have eaten those other girls if he could lol! Did he know the first girl was egg laden? She couldn't really move much, but her tail got really big when I put him 'in' with her.
    I wonder if she would/could have breed with him? He'd never finished a bubble nest, but he tries when he thinks about it lol.

Thanks for your help anyway.