Is my Oto sick or just lonely?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aqualung

AC Members
Jan 31, 2004
Visit site
fish_gal77 said:
are shrimp typically ok with ADF? I like shrimp just don't want to watch them get eaten!
I'm not sure how that would work, any shrimp small enough to fit the tank may be a potential meal for the frogs. I've never kept frogs, but maybe snails would be a better choice in that situation.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Amano shrimp are reported to be fabulous algae eaters. They eat just about any kind of algae found in you tank. A couple of those could work well in your small 5 gallon. Try a few ghost shrimp first and see how those do with your frogs. They're cheaper than the amano shrimp. If the frogs leave those alone, its a fair bet the amanos would be fine. You could switch your ghost shrimp over to your 44 when you add the amanos. Red cherrie shrimp are also supposed to be good algae eaters and their red coloring would really show up nicely in your small tank. Shrimp are pretty quick, and those ADFs are very incompetent feeders...lol....it's pure luck anytime they manage to snatch ANYTHING !

For your 44 gallon tank, you might want to look into getting an SAE or "siamese algae eater". They are supposed to be the best algae eating fish out there. They will eat hair algae. I'm afraid the otos won't help much with that issue. Get some really good pics online and make sure you know what you are getting because these fish are very similar to flying foxes and a few other species. Hard to tell these apart if you don't know what to look for.

Hair algae is a pain.....might want to check into how often you feed and how much along with stepping up on water changes and gravel vacs a bit to get rid of some of the excess nutrients. Lowering your lighting will help too, if you don't have any live plants in there.

I agree with you BTW on the "get a bigger tank" comment that is usually tossed out anytime someone asks about stocking smaller tanks. Helpful suggestions about what to do with the tank one has would be much more welcome IMO. I keep a few small tanks myself and they do exceptionally well, in fact, they are easier to keep clean and care for than my larger tanks.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store