Now what? (for those of us who didn't know about "cycling" beforehand) (Long!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
The cycle happens whether you try for it or not in most cases. As for spending money....the only things you HAVE TO buy are fish and the tank....however, it is good to have the testing equipment on hand even AFTER your tank is established, if for nothing else than diagnosing problems. About 75% of the time, fish deaths are either directly or indirectly related to water quality, especially for beginners. Testing often can help catch those water quality issues before they get bad enough to do harm to your tank.

No, it's not necessary to spend money, but just like any other pet, you've get back what you put in. For instance, if you have a dog, sooner or later you're going to have to take it to the vet if it's sick. If you neglect this, your dog might get ill and die from something that is easily treatable. Since this is not feasable for most fish, being able to diagnose diseases on your own is crucial to keeping your fish healthy. Water quality is usually a good place to start.

However, whatever works best for you is what you should do. I've just found that there are a few basics that almost everyone says works for them (granted, to varying degrees, some people are just luckier than others, I suppose....).

Believe me, any way I can avoid spending money, I do. There are some things I simply won't compromise on. Like I said, you get out of a hobby no more than what you're willing to put in.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
One of the reasons we write so exhaustively about the cycle, and our recommendation that cycles be done fishlessly when possible, is that we read innumerable accounts on this board that go something like this:

"I just got my new 10 gallon tank. The LFS person said feeder goldfish were good to start the tank with, so I bought 15. Now, three days later, my water is murky and seven of the goldfish have died. I bought some of the Proper pH that the petstore guy recommended, because my pH is 6.8 and I want to keep fish that like 7.0 What is going on? Why are my fish dying? How long until I can add that arrowana that I really like?"

I believe that a large proportion of people who become interested in fishkeeping never make it past the cycle, and they get ensnared in the "dying-fish-go-to-LFS-buy-chemicals-fish-keep-dying-buy more chemicals" cycle.

Attending to the cycle and understanding what's happening during it can dramatically SAVE people money and increase they likelihood they actually get to enjoy their fish. Who could find anything wrong with that?

This is one of those cases where even a little bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Jim

Last edited:

tyler

safety...
Nov 28, 2002
Fargo, ND
www.angelfire.com
Originally posted by JSchmidt
I believe that a large proportion of people who become interested in fishkeeping never make it past the cycle, and they get ensnared in the "dying-fish-go-to-LFS-buy-chemicals-fish-keep-dying-buy more chemicals" cycle.
i think you've got something here jim. i wonder how the spike in spending correlates to the ammonia spike...

i'm also guilty of having never fishless cycled, but i tend to stock extremely slowly which i think has been saving my ass on a routine basis.

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
Originally posted by tyler

i think you've got something here jim. i wonder how the spike in spending correlates to the ammonia spike...

i'm also guilty of having never fishless cycled, but i tend to stock extremely slowly which i think has been saving my ass on a routine basis.
I have never fishless cycled myself, mainly because I am impressively impatient when it comes to my tanks, and partly because I've never had a completely new setup, rather, I've been upgrading constantly or moving fish around since 1990 or so...

I don't think cycling with fish is anything to be ashamed of, if it is done in such a manner as to keep the little guys as comfortable as possible during the transition from "new tank" to "established tank". Stocking slowly and being right on top of the water changes is the best way to go about that. Fishless is better, but if done in a humane manner, fishy cycling is, after all, the way most everybody does it, even now, in the age of the internet, where we can read up on it first....

On a side note, I will be trying a fishless cycle on my next project, just to see which method I prefer. Can't knock it if you haven't tried it, I guess...

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
I have never fishless cycled either. I haven't lost any fish due to this(some fish got eaten, neon tetras 6). I am going to try it on a 10G that I want to get.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i have never done a "fishless cycle" but i do strain out my old filter into my new tank, and when i do decide to take fish out from one into anther, a LFS told me to put all my old gravel into a nylon and dangle it in the new tank for a little while. is this worth it? i have had an oscar for 3 years, and my standard of cleaning his tank was always dumping out all the water, rinsing the gravel, and putting new in. not untill a few months ago, when i became more of a hobbyist did i do the 20% changes a week, and only vaccumed up a little bit of the crap on the bottom. anyways, im i never heard of fishless cycleing untill i read this post, my LFS always told me to add some anti chlorine stuff, and let the tank run for 48 hours. so what im asking for is help! i set up a 55 gallon tank a few (4) days ago, and i have 3 zebra danios, 2 phantom tetras, and a dwarf gourami. 15 gallons of the 55 came from my other tanks, i even took my filter( the filter of the tank which the fish are coming from) and rinsed it in the water. so should i just keep changing my water a few times a day? like 10 to 15 gallons? and vaccum out the gravel a little bit each time?

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store