Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

Sea Urchins spines falling off

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Only (FO) / Fish Only With Live Rock (' started by ryrazzer, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ryrazzer

ryrazzer AC Members

I have a small white sea urchin with red spines that i purchased a few weeks ago. Over the last several days i`ve noticed that quite a few of its spines have fallen off and its not moved from one area for quite a few days now.
    Is this normal?

Any help would be great.

2. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Information Tech
    Are it's legs still coming out? Some spine loss is normal--they fall off and are replaced, but significant loss is a problem. How was it acclimated to the tank?

3. ryrazzer

ryrazzer AC Members

I just left it in the bag for 30 mins then put it in the tank. It was fine for about a week, moving around all over the place and cleaning rocks.
    Most of the spines have gone from one side but its still alive, just sat in the same spot

4. OrionGirl

Information Tech
    I'd guess that you're seeing shock--reaction to the sudden change from the LFS water parameters to those in your tank. No way to tell how if or how well it will recover--the fact that it's lost a lot of spines is not good.

Acclimation for invertebrates should be done carefully, by either a drip from the tank into a container with the organism, or by adding 1/4-1/2 cup of tank water to the container every 10-15 minutes, dumping half the water when you've doubled the original volume, repeat twice.

5. ryrazzer

ryrazzer AC Members

Ok thanks for the advise. Im going to change stockists cause the guy im using at the minute doesnt tell me any of this.
    One other question, I have a dragon wrasse, puffer and a parrot fish. They all seem to swim up and down in the corner or the tank. Not all together, but in general.
    At one end i have a Fluval 104 and at the other just a bog standard, multi layer filter with polyfilter.
    I want to start adding coral as all i have is live rock at the minute. Should i get any more type of filtration? Maybe a skimmer? I also have an under gravel filter.

Thanks

6. OrionGirl

Information Tech
    What are your nitrates? What corals are you thinking of getting? None of your fish are particularly reef safe...They may content themselves with a nip or two, or they may straight up eat anything your add. They may also be to blame for the urchins problems...especially the puffer.

7. ryrazzer

ryrazzer AC Members

No2 is zero and No3 is around 10. To be honest i havnt got a clue what type of coral to get. Id just like some nice looking plants in there and also to help with water quality and everything.
    Funny you should say that about the puffer cause ive seen him hovering around the urchin quite a lot and picking at it.
    Do you think i would benefit from a protein skimmer?

8. Decz

Decz AC Members

ryrazzer - there is a good chance that many stockists or lfs will not tell you everything and for a variety of reasons. sometimes they just dont have enough experience or knowledge to know.... sometimes they assume that the purchaser will know.. and sometimes they think they know but really don't - you've got to understand that many lfs stores will have capable employees who are wonderful when it comes to community fish...but the reality is that there are thousands of different creatures and variables that make it difficult for just one person to know it all about marine life.

it would be good practice to get on a forum like this right before you make a new purchase and use the search button to learn more about the creature you intend to buy. If you can't find anything helpful, then I would get into the marine newbie forum and specifically ask about the creature, its needs, acclimation and overall friendliness... it will save you some headaches later... and maybe some creatures too!

best of luck!

#8 Decz, Apr 9, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  9. mogurnda

mogurnda vaguely present

scientist
    I think a tank almost always benefits from a skimmer. Removes potential pollutants, increases aeration.

I have seen urchins lose most of their spines (once due to a zoanthid spawn) and manage to recover completely. I worry that the puffer may keep if from recovering, though.

If you want to have corals, you may just want to get rid of the puffer. No point in adding good lighting if everything gets nibbled to death.

10. corriewf

corriewf EVIL

Thats a good sign of death soon........ Sorry