Tank stocking suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jared185

AC Members
Jan 24, 2012
Man I'd say get some African cichlids they are beautiful and pretty Hardy but are aggressive and they are not hard to find even Walmart carries them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I'd get a pair of rainbow cichlids (or a single convict), some platys or swordtails, and sit back and watch the fun. The cichlid or cichlids will eat the fry, and the tank will be fun and entertaining. Plus, your PH is perfect for Central American fish.

For South American cichlids, Bolivian rams are hardy, so you could easily do a pair or trio of them, some tetras (many choices), and otos or a single clown or bulldog pleco (both stay small)...heck, you could even add a single angelfish in there, too. That'd be a nice tank.

Or, you could go Asian with a paradise fish, a dozen white clouds, and some loaches (sinobotia if you're lucky enough to find them or hillstream loaches which are more common). Water PH is again ideal, no need for a heater with these fish, either.

Eric

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Thanks for the info guys, a lot to think about. I was considering angelfish, I'm going to do some research on them.

About Cichlids, should I worry about my plants at all? You can't tell from the picture, but I just planted some Micro-sword in some spots, hopefully it will spread out eventually. Also, I am attemping to attach an Anubias Nana to the 'driftwood'.

With the Cichlids being diggers and omnivores, will this be a problem?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Not all cichlids dig. The dwarf SA ones don't, kribs don't and rainbow cichlids don't. Some convicts do, but usually only when digging a pit to spawn...I've kept singles in heavily planted tanks with no problems.

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Not all cichlids dig. The dwarf SA ones don't, kribs don't and rainbow cichlids don't. Some convicts do, but usually only when digging a pit to spawn...I've kept singles in heavily planted tanks with no problems.
If I do go with a convict, should I wait until the plants settle in a bit and get rooted, just to be safe? Is it better to add cichlids into the community tank after the other fish have been added to avoid unnecessary aggression? The SA cichlid tank sounds very interesting, I'm going to see if the LFS carry Bolivian Rams.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
If you go with a convict, get a tiny one and add with the other fish if the tank is cycled and ready to go...let them grow up together. FWIW, I really like swords and variatus platys, but I'd not mix as they can interbreed. A small convict will not mess with plants (my experience, adult singles don't mess with plants, either, but they are bigger so a big one with tiny plants could be frustrating). The great thing about a convict is that it's a great wet pet - very interactive with you.

Bolivian rams are the IDEAL first cichlid and community tank cichlid. Despite their small size, they are great wet pets - again very interactive with the food gods outside the tank. While they will chase each other a bit, they don't hurt each other and their social interactions can be fun to watch. Right now, I have a single one in with a slowly transitioning tank (from SE Asian to SA). A great fish - my favorite in the tank by far. I've kept them many times, bred them some (although I've never removed the fry and after some time the parents have lost interest in guarding them so I've not grown them to adults), and simply think they are the coolest fish. With time, they push 3.5" SL, and while drab in the dealer tank have some nice pastel hues with time at home.

Eric

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
I'll keep my eyes out for either Bolivian Rams or Convicts. I'm thinking I've seen Convicts before at the local Petsmart. Are both Convicts and B rams considered 'dwarf' cichlids?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Convicts will get to about 6", so not dwarf. They can be aggressive with smaller fish...but usually only when breeding. Sticking with 1 solves that problem. Bolivians rams (sometimes called clown or ruby rams at Petco who usually stocks them) are definitely dwarf cichlids, but hefty dwarfs. Very peaceful. Petsmart was stocking them before Christmas, and my local store still has 3 in stock so your store might have them as well. If not, if you have a petco, check it out.

Eric

schapman1886

AC Members
Sep 24, 2010
Convicts will get to about 6", so not dwarf. They can be aggressive with smaller fish...but usually only when breeding. Sticking with 1 solves that problem. Bolivians rams (sometimes called clown or ruby rams at Petco who usually stocks them) are definitely dwarf cichlids, but hefty dwarfs. Very peaceful. Petsmart was stocking them before Christmas, and my local store still has 3 in stock so your store might have them as well. If not, if you have a petco, check it out.

Eric
Unfortunately the Petco right up the road went out of business, though there is one about 20 min away. I still have a ways before my tank is ready to go anyhow. Should I worry about any of these fish jumping, as I don't have a lid?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
I always have a lid on my tank...any fish can jump if startled. If no lid, just drop the water level a few inches and you should be fine. Nothing I've listed is a classic jumper, but I think the investment in a lid is worthwhile. The all glass lids with the plastic hinge are usually reasonably priced (although for a bowfront I don't know...might be pricier.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store