Stocking A Ten Gallon Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
There are quite a few plants you can do without ferts or CO2. Good lighting is key. I have had success with ludwegia, amazon swords and crypts with no more than some CFL lamps. Although adding ferts and CO2 increased growth noticeably.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
There are quite a few plants you can do without ferts or CO2. Good lighting is key. I have had success with ludwegia, amazon swords and crypts with no more than some CFL lamps. Although adding ferts and CO2 increased growth noticeably.
Cool, thanks. The tank is opposite a west window and it has a lamp, so light shouldn't be a problem. Is 1/4" gravel at a depth of 1-2" an acceptable substrate?

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
As of right now, I think I would like to add 4-5 Celestial Pearl Danios, 1-2 Sparkling Gouramis, and, assuming they will do all right in gravel, a few Crypts and/or Ludwigia. Let me know if that sounds like a viable option. Also, I am considering mixing some frozen brine shrimp or something similar into the diet, perhaps on weekends, does anyone have any brands they can recommend?

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
As of right now, I think I would like to add 4-5 Celestial Pearl Danios, 1-2 Sparkling Gouramis, and, assuming they will do all right in gravel, a few Crypts and/or Ludwigia. Let me know if that sounds like a viable option. Also, I am considering mixing some frozen brine shrimp or something similar into the diet, perhaps on weekends, does anyone have any brands they can recommend?
Also, just realized, do any of those fish have a tendency to jump? I am currently running lidless, although I do have 1-2" of air space before the rim of the tank. If they do jump, I can put a lid or perhaps some plastic wrap on there, which I have heard of people using. The reason for not having a lid right now is that the LEDs in the lid burned out, and I can't find new ones. Also, I want to allow these philodendron/pothos to grow without being squished by a lid.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
All fishes jump, it just depends on how often and when. A few floating plants will help and make the fish feel safer.

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Real Name
Brian
All fishes jump, it just depends on how often and when. A few floating plants will help and make the fish feel safer.
So with some plants like I've been talking about and with an inch or two of airspace, should I be alright? I just don't want any escapees...

Duckie

AC Members
Mar 14, 2015
Also, I am considering mixing some frozen brine shrimp or something similar into the diet, perhaps on weekends, does anyone have any brands they can recommend?
I would suggest Hikari as brand for the brine shrimp. I am buying the biggest package they have myself for my fish (32oz sheet for about $20 at my LFS). Don't waste your money on them silly cubes - you pay a lot of money just for having it individually prepackaged. If you only feed once a week get a small sheet (8oz) that will last you quite a while. Plus the cubes are never the right size of what you need, unless you are extremely lucky with your fish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I originally kept my 7 celestial pearl danios in my planted 10g, but I never saw them. They'd stay hidden in the plants. For what ever reason, when I moved them to my 29g, they're totally out and about and come up to the glass when they see you. Like said, some small danios, rasboras, etc would be great in a 10g. There's nothing wrong with your substrate, but it's awfully chunky for corys. They do best with sand. You can keep corys w/ gravel, but they will have barbel wear from it. I've got panda corys in my 55 w/ gravel and julii corys in my 29 with sand. The pandas have slightly worn barbles.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store