New Fish Tank - Community Ideas - Help! :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpeedyDnB

Registered Member
Oct 20, 2015
Hi All,

New to this forum and fishkeeping so understand i may be wrong about a lot of this so feel free to correct me :)

I have a Tank with lots of assorted ornaments/fake plants/drift wood. I don't have a plan as to what gravel will be used in the tank at present, the tank comes with dorset natural gravel however I will probably go for something finer (any suggestions here based on my below community idea are welcome). I also plan on using a fishless cycle so that my aquarium is ready for healthy fish :)

Tank Diameters are:
Aquarium Volume: approx. 200 Litres
Aquarium Measurements: 100 x 41 x 61 cm
Cabinet Measurements: 100.6cm long, 41cm wide, 72.8cm high.

I am new to fishkeeping and all these have been listed as passive community fish from the seller that I plan on purchasing from although please help as to whether this is a good community idea:

3-4 x african dwarf frogs
3-4 x Kuhli loach
8-15 x Tetra (either Neon or Lemon, other suggestions welcome, also if anyone can recommend a good number of these for my tank)
1 x Albino Bristolenose Pleco Long Fin
1 x black ghost knife fish
1 x Elephant Nose
1-3 x Angel Fish (Pterophyllum scalare)

I have 0 experience with what fish are good with each other other than what i have read online. Can anyone see any issues with the above groupings?

Also, how would you guys recommend introducing all these fish to my aquarium? All at once or over a set amount of time etc :)

Thanks!

Chris

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
IMO, way over stocked and you have a mix of some special care fish, that only a more experienced hobbyist should have. And too many bottom fish. Forget the ADF--better suited for a species tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
All your choises are peaceful, but not combatable. Pick the "One" fish or species you want then build around it.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
can a BGK fully mature in a 50 gallon tank ?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
IMO, no.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
I think this size of tank would do well with a few groups of schooling fish that dont get bigger than 1.5 inches. Like tetras, rasboras, swordtails,guppies,mollys. Could get a 2-3 schools or 2 large schools and could have some cory cats for the bottom.

NeverFadeAway86

AC Members
Jun 15, 2011
Columbus, OH
Real Name
Brian C
also you want to add the fish slowly not all at once, once school at a time.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hello Speedy??

Gabler

AC Members
May 1, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Real Name
Gabler
First, don't use fake plants made of hard plastic, they can injure the barbels (whiskers) of catfish, loaches, and other bottom feeders. Use soft plants only. Better yet, chuck the fake plants and grab a live java fern or two. They require no special care, and they reproduce quickly. They'll quadruple in numbers and volume in half a year.

Next, get a smooth sand as a substrate. It's good for kuhli loaches. They love to dig in it. Introduce the loaches first. They're by far the most fun of the fish you listed. Perhaps a little shy at first, but eventually they'll become very playful. Make sure they have plenty of small hiding places under plants and such.

Next, add guppies, swordtails, or other peaceful livebearers. Tetras are much more sensitive to hard water than livebearers. Just be aware that if you put a male and female together, you'll soon have hundreds more. Get males or females only unless you plan to breed them. They're easy to sex at a glance. Add the bristlenose plecostomus last. Plecos can be a bit more sensitive to fluctuations in water conditions, so add one once everything else is settled. Also, get no fewer than three loaches and five livebearers. They're very social.

Of course, all of this is just a suggestion. Use it as you will.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store