pleco delomo

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lethalp

AC Members
Jan 1, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
why would they sell me a giant pleco.I told them I wanted a small one and that I only had a 2.5g tank. DO people who work in fish stores know anything? In my profession that would be like selling a mastiff pup to someone in a studio apartment. (which could be ok btw, since they turn to couch potatoes in adulthood :p . Ok off the soapbox) Any-hoo I am fishless cycling my new 29g tank and I will more than likely move him to it once its already, will that work?

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
You might want to wander over to the bottom-dweller forum for info on plecos. I don't really have any experience with them. I understand that they produce an unusually great deal of waste. If I ever do an Amazon tank, I've thought about maybe having a Zebra Plec (much smaller), but the big guys get really big, much too big for a 29 even.

One of the basic rules of stocking is that the largest fish should be less than 1/2 the width of the tank, so for a 29 you don't want any fish that are going to get bigger than 6". And a common pleco will.

And no, unfortunately, some fish store employees don't seem to know anything about the fish. A lot of bad advice is given out in fish stores. :(

I'd take back the plec. If you want a nice small cat for the 29 I'd look into Corys and Otos, although there are plenty of other small cats and even small plecs.

Frank_Carr

AC Members
Jan 13, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
Visit site
I overheard one being sold at a chain pet store recently. The employee said in response to the customer asking about how big they got, "Oh, they'll only grow to fit the size of the tank." I didn't challenge the employee on it, but I felt like doing so. I guess selling little fish that get huge, like the plecos, tinfoil barbs, bala sharks and pacus, generate a lot of large tank sales.

I think your mastiff comment is pretty much on target. Plecos also get less active as they get older (ie about 12" in length). But, when they move around, they're like bulls in a china shop or a mastiff in a studio apartment.

A 29 gallon will, unfortunately, turn out to be too small as well in the long run. I have my 7" pleco in one right now and he's OK in there for now. However, I'm planning on getting a 50+ gallon sometime this year (hopefully a good used deal).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store