old tank water into new - algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I am setting up a new, larger tank to replace a fish only tank in which Ive had two perculas and a pseudochromis for years. The old tank has had an awful algae problem for quite a long time, maybe some combination of algaes...some bubble, some hair, mostly green, some reddish/purplish.

If I transfer some of the old tank water, do you think I will be transferring an algae problem?

Otherwise, I intend to use new equipment and also new substrate.

Thanks.

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
If the algae is cause by a high nutrient level then yes.

5xevy

Member #62,749
Jan 3, 2007
Upstate, NY
I am setting up a new, larger tank to replace a fish only tank in which Ive had two perculas and a pseudochromis for years. The old tank has had an awful algae problem for quite a long time, maybe some combination of algaes...some bubble, some hair, mostly green, some reddish/purplish.
Are you replacing the tank because of the algae problem, or were you going to replace it anyway? Have you checked your nitrate and phosphate levels? Do you happen to grow macroalgae and/or use tap water?

Sorry for all of the questions- just trying to see if maybe you can avoid the algae problem in your brand new tank, after it's established.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store