Clam help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nlutfi

AC Members
Apr 27, 2007
I just bought my first clam on monday and i dont think i have enough lighting for it. My lfs said i should have no problem keeping it under the lighting i have, i have bought all my equiptment from them and i dont know why the would sell it to me if i didnt have enough lighting. Right now i have a coralife fixture with 2 96w, a 10000k day and a actinic 03, also 2 led moonlights. My tank is a 38g, 36x12x20, the clam is a crocea an he is about 12" from the light. From what i read here and on clamdirect.com the crocea is the most light needed and requires a MH for sure. Maybe my lfs doesnt know what they are talking about or maybe they are just trying to sell a clam :confused:. Im not sure but they have been really good to me about everything else so i have doubt that they would do that. Anyways im just woundering if i will be ok with what i have or if there is any kind of MH light i could add to what i already have without replacing everything. Here is a pic of the clam although its only been about a day since ive had him.

Thanks
-Nick

0m3n

AC Members
May 16, 2006
Sydney, Australia
To be honest you need more light, i keep maxima clams under 300 watts of power compacts which are a little less light demanding. 10000k is the best spectrum for this particular clam i sugest you invest in a MH. Im sure germanman will throw in his two bob as well. The best advice i can give is ask some questions at clams direct. How large is this clam also? if it is smaller than 2-3 inches you should be feeding it pyhtoplankton. hope this helps.

nlutfi

AC Members
Apr 27, 2007
Hi,
Thanks Om3n i will try and find a MH that i can use with the lights i already got. The clam is about 3in or so and i have been feeding live phytoplanktons. Anymore feedback would be great. I am going over to my lfs today and i will talk to them some more about it too.
Thanks again
-Nick

Scribble68

AC Members
May 31, 2006
NJ
Its a decent fixture. IMO the Current halide fixture is better quality wise, but they will both get the job done.

nlutfi

AC Members
Apr 27, 2007
cool thanks scribbles. I think im gunna go with the coralife just for the fact that my lfs has them on special. is a 150 watts enough for the halide? or will i need more then that, like 250? thanks again for the help.
-Nick

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store