Sea Urchin Losing spines

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
I was looking at my sea urchin and it apperas that he is losing his spines. I jsut did a water change last week and everythnig tested out ok. I know that sometimes they lose their spines becase of high nitrates., but i dont know why hes losing them. I dont know what to do any advice would be great.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
it coudl be any form of stress. high nitrates is one. a salniity that is off is a HUGE other probability.

bigsimmer44

AC Members
Feb 19, 2007
Trenton, Michigan
Mine lost a spine or two within the first week I bought it and tended to stay in one area for the most part. After the first week though it got some energry and has been going all over the tank without a loss of a spine since.

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
When my first two urchins started losing spines, it marked the beginning of the end for them. My current urchin has outlived the first two put together, but it is in my bigger, better, newer tank and think that it has a better home than the first two.

tsdpurdue

tsdpurdue
Feb 25, 2007
Indiana
My sea Urchin has died. He lost all of his spines and I pulled him out of the tank today. Just thought I would tell you all

mayran

AC Members
Oct 3, 2005
Grand Rapids, MI
Sorry to hear it. When my first one died, I cleaned off the skeleton and it made a nice decoration on the kitchen window sill.

Sorry if that seems a bit insensitive.

Denzil

Linaker
May 18, 2007
Ive got a tux seaurchin. I found him upside down and so turned him the right way up.Having done so i notices he has a bold head, he lost the pins that were surrounded by the sand. unfortunatly he is still in the same place this morning and i cant tell if he is dead or not.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
My sea Urchin has died. He lost all of his spines and I pulled him out of the tank today. Just thought I would tell you all
Really sorry to hear that mate...its always a shame when we loose something from our systems...

Shall you be replacing it with another?

Niko

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I would take it out if you haven't already. Urchins need very, very stable water conditions . I wouldn't get one until you have a lot of practice keeping your tank stable.
Sorry for your loss
Max

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store