Deal or no deal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Wanting to expand to a 2nd aquarium to kick the angels out of the current tank, plus roommate wants to have some guppies (but not an overpopulation of guppies) and I want some of the Cory sterbai/similis hybrids one of my friends accidentally bred. So I went onto craiglist (inspired by Nolapete) with an ad asking for a not too expensive tank, and I've got this offer. Do I go for it? How much of an ordeal is it to re-seal a tank (keeping in mind that I live in an apartment, but if I put a sign on it for the leak test outside, probably won't disappear)?

Total price : $100. He says 55gal. I want to do plants in this tank, so may need to upgrade lights, and may need to get a new filter eventually. I've got a couple days to decide if I want him to hold it for me before he lists it on Craigslist himself.

Current owner says it's leaked twice - once after it sat in his brother-in-law's yard for a couple years, and once a couple years after he re-sealed it. He's had it going for 8 years. There is a blemish on the stand from the leak. Not posting the pic of the python, I figure you guys know what they look like ;P

I have over $300 of artificial plant accessories/chemicals/filter/air pump/cover/lights. I also have two sheets of wallpaper, each with dual sided images. I also have a Python gravel vacuum and some fish pellets/flakes. I’m not sure of the brand names, I think the filter/heater are TopFin. Everything was purchased at PetSmart if that means anything. The leak was at the seal, not due to any cracks in the glass. The stand shown in the pics comes with the offer for $100, as well as everything else you see in the attached photos. I just want to get rid of everything now that I’m over it.
So the question is... deal? no deal? It's probably about a 20-25 min drive from where I live.

PA160004.JPG PA160006.JPG PA160012.JPG PA160015.JPG

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
On the other hand... first time it leaked was after sun exposure, and the 2nd time he thinks he used sealant which he says was rated for 30gal (didn't know silicone came in different ratings?), but if he's had it running 8 years total and only leaked those two times, do I worry about it? or if I reseal it (again, is it a lot of work to do? never done it myself, but I'm pretty sure one of my friends has and can probably ask his help), would I have to worry about it? I did specifically ask if it was at the joints or if there's a crack somewhere, and he says it's one of the corners. It comes with the stand as well.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pass.

equus_peduus

Constantly Confused
May 8, 2007
Bay Area, CA
try craigslist or aquabid. there are some pretty good deals
I've been watching craigslist for almost a month now... 55gals tend to be at least $100-$150, often more, and come with just the tank and stand and sometimes lights.... smaller tanks, for some reason, seem to be at least as much :| And many tanks are at least $200+ (way more than i want to pay, especially if i end up having to replace stuff/get more stuff). Or it comes for the same price without a stand. Haven't really checked aquabid or ebay much, because that seemed to be much lower yield. Freecycle doesn't seem to get fishtanks put on it much for my area (but haven't posted a wanted ad yet either).

The only other offer from my ad so far is a 40 gal tank (with apparently "everything" I'd need for a planted tank) for $150... (I don't think I'm going for that)

I've got a python already, and won't want the fake plants and fake rocks, so could potentially get some money back on selling those off (though not expecing much for fake plants), same if I end up replacing the lights and the filter. Especially if he's willing to back off a bit on the price, still no deal?

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
"I have over $300 of artificial plant accessories/chemicals/filter/air pump/cover/lights."

That sounds like a bunch of bull**** to me... wow strong artificial plants...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store