Stocking levels for 30G tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
Hi- after a break of 15 years, I'm suddenly in a position where I can keep fish again...

I'm not sure if this is a 30 gallon tank as US gallons are different to UK ones- the tank is 36"X15"X12". At present I have 10 glowlight tetras, 4 Corydoras sterbai, 3 Hoplosternum thoracatum, 1 Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps and 2 mystery dwarf cichlids that were sold as agassizi but definitely aren't, that were rescued from an all out war in my 2' tank. As a result it's a bit overcrowded at the bottom of the tank...

The problem I'm having is feeding these fish as they're all juveniiles, so a LONG way short of their ultimate size (the biggest Hoplo is about 2", the gibbiceps about 3"). My intention is to move the Hoplos and Pterygo as they grow to my 4' tank when that's set up, but that might be 4 months from now (hopefully about 2 months).

So to my question- is the tank overstocked at present or not? I could move some of the fish to the 2' tank, but this tank has quite coarse gravel so I'm not confident about moving the Corys to that tank until I've replaced the gravel with more rounded gravel. I need to add some plastic plants or similar to add cover up the water layer apart from quite a few rock caves in the tank.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
do most of those fish stay in the middle of the tank? I would swap some of them out..and then try to add some fish that stay in the top part of the tank..and maybe some in the bottom to give the tank m ore variety

Carp37

Catfish and Cichlid lover
Jul 11, 2007
Aughton, UK
Most of those fish are bottom fish. Move the sailfin plec for sure and the 3 other cats unless the bottom of your other tank is pretty full. What is in your other tank?
The other tank has 2 dwarf cichlids (1.5") and a 3.5" Synodontis. Thanks.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
hmm.. i wouldnt say that your tank is overstocked per volume, but per ratio of bottom-dwellers, youre a bit crowded. Hoplos can get up to 8 inches in length, so it's a good thing you'll be moving them. the sailfin explains itself with a potential 20" or more ;) you don't have to move them ASAP, but make sure it happens before size becomes a real issue.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store