Plant Newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mabowden

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
:help:

Hi everyone!

New to the forums, and new to aquariums in general. You can check up on the progress of things at:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126219

But, I have plant questions. So I wanted to venture out of the newbie forum and over here

So here it goes!

This is my first tank, and I'm considered with the happiness of my future fish. I'd like to do a planted tank, but I need some easy plants to take care of. Should I do a planted tank, or stay with some nice silks?

This is the setup I'm going to have:
20L glass
Coralife T-5 with twin bulbs, one daylight, one acintic (each 28W) on a 14 hour timer (got the tank and lighting for $25!)
Hagen co2 (nice version of DIY)
So I have about 1.2WPG if you don't include the acintic, and I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it yet anyway. (I haven't started cycling yet, so I don't know how it looks. I just bought the lights locally and it came with the acintic.) Should i just do 2 daylight, and have 2.5 WPG? how does that look?

I plan on having a pair of german gold rams as the "centerpeice", so I would like to stay (if i can) with its local plants (central/south america, right?).

What are some plants that are easy to take care of that I could use?

I would like one form of thin bladed grass too(for some aquascaping I have in mind)

And what filter should I use for it, because they said bio-wheel's aren't good for Co2. I can return the penguin I have.

Oh, and one thing i did realize is there is no newbie plant sticky in this forum or the newbie forum.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
planted no questions ask.

switch out the acintic bulb for another day light bulb.

cut back on light.... 8-10 hours 12 hours max....

there many small blade grass type of plants like dwarf hairgrass. bio wheels are not good for diy co2. hobs for that mater are not very good. another option maybe is to go with a power head driven sponge filter.

Mabowden

AC Members
Sep 6, 2007
Well, I've decided on an aquaclear. At least I ditched the biowheel. We'll see how that works as a hotb. I actually got it at petsmart for $25 (the 30 gallon vers.)

I couldn't find the coralife 22" bulb for the life of me but i found a 6700k phillips. It's in the mail.

I also made a DIY with a bubble ladder, and ordered some eco-complete for mah substrate. It's in the mail.

Got myself some flourish, and some hagen cycle (to see if it quickens the cycle process). It's in the mail.

Got a Aqua Pharm master FW test kit, and a 100W heater. Guess where it is!

Best of all? TWO DAY SHIPPING, and it was only like $5 more than priority, which is a surprise because of the eco-complete
:headbang2:

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
you can never go wring with Java Ferns. they're hardy, don't mind low light, thrive in bright, they breed readily and IMHO Look great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store