"grades" of fiji

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
my favorite lfs has a very large (12' x 16' x 3') saltwater pond(for lack of better word) they sell live rock out of. the thing is that they have around 7 different kinds of fiji live rock such as: regular, good, premiem, ultra, ultra premium, ultra show, ect. all sectioned off by string above the water. how different can they all be?

also they have smaller rocks sold as "base rock" in with the live rock, would these be a good investment vs. dry lace rock?

lastly, all the lace rock i find is just dried live rock (all different colors of crust from dead life on it) should i scrum the dried dead life off before putting it in the tank?

ryan

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Well, since the rock is all in one tank, one of the big differences between the grades will be eliminated--the hitch hikers will migrate onto all the rock available. With encrusting life forms, you should be able to see the difference--the better stuff will have more variety and types of life, in better shape and larger colonies. Base rock generally has nothink bigger than bacteria, while the higher grades should increase. If you don't see the difference, don't bother getting the pricier stuff, and maybe look around for another source.

For the dried stuff---yes, you will need to scrub off a lot of the dried organisms. Hard coral skeletons should be okay, but anything organic will begin decaying and cause problems. I'm surprised this stuff doesn't stink already!

Ray Pollett

AC Members
Jun 6, 2003
Blaine, WA
Visit site
I respectfully disagree. Since the base rock is in with the LR, put it directly into your tank; I would not clean it.

I do not know where the different grades of LR come from unless the dealer grades it himself on shape and life. Almost all LR from fiji comes from one collector - Walt Smith. To my knowledge he does not seperate the rock by grades.

"also they have smaller rocks sold as "base rock" in with the live rock, would these be a good investment vs. dry lace rock?"

Depends on price difference. For base rock also check these places:

www.tampabaysaltwater.com

www.gulf-view.com

www.hirocks.com

Ray

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The cleaning was for the dried lace rock. Anything that is in the water should be fine, but rock that had algae growing on it and was dried should be cleaned. Sorry if that wasn't clear. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store