new discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
I have a fairly new discus--full grown and has been in my community tank for about 3 weeks. When I first put him in there, he ate fine and roamed around and everything seemed great. For the last 2 days, he has not been eating. He is still active, and there are no visible signs of injury or that anything else at all is wrong with him. It is a 90 gal. community tank that has many different kinds of fish in it and I was worried about him so this morning I checked the water levels for: pH, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. They all came back fine. So, there is nothing else that I can see is wrong with him, but as I watched him last night in the tank during feeding time, my green severum (who is a little smaller than the discus) would want to chase him around or at least out of his way during feeding time. None of the other fish seem to be bothering him but the severum will hang close by and just watch the discus. I wonder if this might be scaring the discus and possibly stressing him out and causing him to not eat. Like I said, everything else seems fine and this severum didn't bother him when we first put the discus in the tank, but now he lingers around him. I do have a 30 gallon tank available that is up and running with just some tetras in it that I could move the discus into. Does anyone think that this would be best? This is a very expensive discus and I am VERY worried about loosing him. I have had other discus in the 90 gal. tank before and they all did fine. Also, one did have a wound on his side that I treated him for but didn't seem to get better and I lost him on Tues. Do you think that this new discus might be lonely now since the other one isn't there anymore and now he is by himself in there. Although, they didn't really hang out together too much before. My gut instinct is that this whole loss of appetite thing is due to environmental causes. Is the best thing at this point to move him to the other tank with the tetras, because I fear that if I leave him where he is, that he will just continue to not eat and die shortly. Any ideas or suggestions???

Cearbhaill

Reads the Gribble Report
Mar 22, 2003
South Florida USA
Visit site
I wonder if this might be scaring the discus and possibly stressing him out and causing him to not eat.
Nail on the head!

I'd move the severum and get the discus some company.

And even though your parameters check out ok a good look at your water changing schedule might be in order. Wounds and death on the other discus could have been influenced by poor water quality.

jjohns

AC Members
Sep 26, 2003
Bismarck, ND
Visit site
The other tank I would move the severum into then has tetras in it? Wouldn't the severum hassel them and maybe try to eat them? Could I leave the severum where it is and move the discus to the other tank with the tetras? I would think the discus would be fine in there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store