Red Slime Algae/need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
How does one get rid of red slime algae? Water parameters are 0 for ammo, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, 78-79 deg...yet I have small patches of red algae in the tank, both on the LR and on the sand. Did I do something wrong?
I change 2 gal of my 20g almost every day, and 6 gal once a week, tank started July 20th, one ocellaris, one firefish, several assorted inverts including one cleaner shrimp. Diatoms not that visible in the morning, but seem to grow much more apparent at the end of the daily light cycle. (8 hours 48w T5ho)
Any advice appreciated

BigMike

AC Members
Feb 17, 2004
Denver, Co
Visit site
I was just doing a little reading on red slime algae.
A couple of things I will try, tell me if you think this is way out of bounds.
1. about.com had an article that said activated carbon can actually contribute phosphates to the tank. ( I change filters every four days or so) I have removed the carbon filter from the skimmer/filter combo, and replaced it with a filter pad only.
2. less feeding. I usually feed a small amount of flakes early in the day, and a small amount of mysis shrimp in the evening. I will cut this to alternating each type once a day.
I don't think the lighting is really that high, so I will leave it for now.

thoughts?

BToast

AC Members
Jan 6, 2008
Orange County,CA
Suck out as much as you can during water changes.
Cut down the photo period.
Check for dead spots in flow.
Just a few things I did during my outbreak that made a big differance. Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store