bubble tip help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Joey D

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
So cal-Phoenix, Az
Visit site
ok, my turn to seek advice. Can anyone tell me what a normal healthy bubbletip anemone should look like around the clock? Is it just me, or do they constantly change shape, expanding and retracting their tentacles? My carpet anemone looks the same around the clock, however the bubbletip goes through good and bad periods, or, periods where the tentacles will be full and long, then they will shorten, and some may even wilt a bit, until they are fully inflated again. Is this a feeding stratagy of some sort? I've heard the tentacles grow long when it gets hungry to capture food, then after feeding, they shorten up again. Anyone with healthy bubbletips please respond. thanks in-advance.
joey d-the hottest place on earth, phoenix, az
wish i was back in cali, cooler and cheaper fish and coral.

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
Mine does the same thing, and I know mines healthy, it has doubled in size in less than a year. And that was AFTER it had nearly all its tenacle ripped off by a powerhead in january. If it never opens fully then water quality or lighting may be an issue, but if it just changes from open to closed to in between then you should be fine.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I have a few bubble-tips and it is normal for them to not always have the "bubble-tips". Mine often extend their tentacles and double in size. It may be an attempt to capture more food, or perhaps even to absorb more light. You can be quite sure they are healthy if they are sticky to touch, and are very responsive to touch and readily take hold of food offered. I use a combination of a marine white light with a blue actinic, and under these conditions my anenomes have cloned. They will however move to a position that suits them. If they move they are generally happy where they went to, so resist moving them back constantly to where you want them to be!

If they are unhealthy they will appear stringy and the mouth will be gaped open. They will however shrivel considerably if they detect a change such as freshwater added when topping up. As with all anenomes, they dislike tanks which haven't matured and if added to a non-matured tank will appear to be quite distressed.

Good luck with your anenomes, they are a great addition to the SW tank.

Joey D

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
So cal-Phoenix, Az
Visit site
Thanks for the info kit, those are things i've already pretty much considered, except for the fact that its not sticky to the touch. It eats silversides, but if fed too many or too often, it will regurgitate. I usually feed it only when i see its tentacles fully extended, indicating its search for food. This also allows it to wrap its tentacles around the food and grap hold of it better. So, I am going to carefully work it up to par and see how it goes. My carpet anemone does very well, grows with every feeding, eats alot, and is extremely sticky to the touch. however, my luck with bubble tip anemones has always been vague. We'll see what becomes of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store