Good medium sized fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
So my big boys, a 12" black ghost knife and a 12" long common pleco, are getting a much-needed tank upgrade for Christmas. However, since they're going to be in a larger tank, there's also going to be some free room for a change. As these fish are both nocturnal, I would like to start looking in to the possibility of adding some fish to look at during the day time.

Caveats: they have to be big enough to not get eaten by the ghost knife, but small enough to not become monsters themselves (nothing that will et over 6"), or become the focal point of the tank (I like the bgk as the centerpiece). Less aggressive is better, too.

So, any good mid-sized fish you can think of? I'm pretty much drawing a blank, except for maybe some of the larger tetra species. I'd like just a handful of somewhat pretty fish to swim around the top levels of the tank during the day.

It's going to be a 75g tank (still a little small for the big guys, but we're in the process of getting the materials to build a 100+ tank, as well as stalking craigslist for any deals in the mean time) with a sand substrate and driftwood decor (no plants, the plec just "deconstructs" them for us) and a fairly strong current down the tank for the knife, which I think would rule out angels?

Anyway, I'd like some input. This is obviously not something I'm going to be doing for a while, but I'd like to start researching and seeing what all my options are.

jbradt

this is bat country
May 9, 2008
outback, NY
Real Name
I. P. Daily
Rainbows were the first thing I thought of!

bazil323

AC Members
May 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Diamond tetras (about 3.5"), Congo tetras (about 3.5, I think), gouramis, and rainbows would be good options. Even the dwarf gouramis get 2+ inches, so I'd think they'd be okay. Honey gouramis would be great as they'd stay at the top, they're pretty peaceful, and a small group should be fine in a 75 gallon, especially if there's plenty of cover/hiding spots.

HannahJ

Starving Student
Dec 3, 2008
College Station, Texas
Rainbows are a thought--would they nip my ghost's fins though? And how many would I need to have? They do like to school, right?

I'm leery of gouramis, having a dwarf gourami in my community tank named The Big Meanie, and for good reason. I have visions of shredded ghost knife fins with gouramis. Also, I have a pretty good current in the tank, don't gouramis not like that?

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
Boesmani Rainbows are the first fish that popped into my head......

edit: they do like to be in a school and I have not heard of them being nippy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store