power head help me

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fitter17

AC Members
Jan 18, 2009
Somewhere in Maryland
I have a 55 gallon fish and live rock saltwater tank. I have a fluval 305 and a seaclone protein skimmer, Now somebody mentioned to get a power head . Why and what kind is best recommended,,,,,Thanks

cullyisgully

salt water ffeen
Jan 24, 2007
Queens, New York
I have a 55 gallon fish and live rock saltwater tank. I have a fluval 305 and a seaclone protein skimmer, Now somebody mentioned to get a power head . Why and what kind is best recommended,,,,,Thanks

do u have a sub.??? cause i have a 404 fluval in my 72 bow... wish i new it was for frash water and not salt... it works but u have 2 chang the carbin each month pain in the *** but w?e

here are some pics of my power heads... get the one right next 2 my protin skimer... pm me if u need some help... and post some pics of your tank

DSC00608.JPG DSC00610.JPG DSC00614.JPG d02.jpg IMG_2210.JPG

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky

Kiel'thalin

AC Members
Jun 12, 2006
Here is a little article to sooth your taste buds:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

FYI, most people do not place there powerheads in there tanks correctly to fully utilize the flow a powerhead can provide. I suggest you only buy one powerhead. Here is a list of some you may find suitable depending on you budget, each have there own advantages/disadvantages:
Koralia 3 or 4
SEIO M820 or M1100
Tunze Nanostream 6045

cjtabares

AC Members
Oct 17, 2007
Bristol. RI
even if he dose not place it perfectly to utilize the optimal flow of each powerhead, I think it would be difficult for him to get the flow in his 55 he needs with only one powerhead.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Here is a little article to sooth your taste buds:
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

FYI, most people do not place there powerheads in there tanks correctly to fully utilize the flow a powerhead can provide. I suggest you only buy one powerhead. Here is a list of some you may find suitable depending on you budget, each have there own advantages/disadvantages:
Koralia 3 or 4
SEIO M820 or M1100
Tunze Nanostream 6045

I dont feel 1 powerhead can provide sufficient current / coverage around a 55 gal tank...its not something i would recomend unless its a empty fish only tank..

Last edited:

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I agree wiht Reefscape...one powerhead isn't the way to go. Typically you can't position the powerhead to dowhat it needs and that is while it provides the flow for water movement, you are trying to eliminate and "dead spots" (nominal movement) in your tank. You need to have the flow so that the detritus doesn't settle in one area and also that the flow coverage assists in making it less attractive for algae and cyano to get old in an area. Despite perfect flow it still may happen.

As for brands, I have korallia, tunze and seio and I prefer the Tunze (really pricey in my opinion) and next I have to say that while it is large - I like the Seio with a mag holder: limitless options on direction of flow and seem to be the timex of the powerheads. Koralia are good, I just get a bit frustrated with the limit on the movement...but still a very good pump with good flow. HTH

tjg2007

AC Members
Sep 20, 2007
As far as not placing the power heads to optimize flow, where is a good starting point for a standard 55g tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store