play sand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
i want to put some play sand in my tank in a certain spot - if it's sand that's safe for kids it'll be ok for my fish then ?
thanks

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
As long as the pieces of sand are not sharp edged (blasting sand) then it should be fine. If you only want it in one area of your tank then I suggest making a little dish or sand box. Otherwise the sand will eventually sift into the gravel and you will loose it. Great thing for catfish, though you will probably have to fill the dish up a few time as they spread it all over.

LMOUTHBASS

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Jun 17, 2003
Boston , MA
Visit site
Real Name
Mark
yeah

i'm going to fill up a micr wavable container and creae a little sand section theyn pplay sand says its for pet boxes, plants and children so it must be fine for fish
it wont screw up the ph n stuff will it

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Most playsand is quartz or silica. That won't hurt your pH at all. I think there is a sand called Southdown (?) which is some sort of carbonate based sand (I think?) that people who have African cichlids or saltwater fish like as it will raise the pH.

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
I don't know about catfish but my botia's made a huge mess of it in my experimental/hospital/feeder fish tank. I was trying it, when I changed the gravel in my 55g I move my botia's to the 10 with the sand. What a mess, they shoveled all into a big pile in the middle of the tank. I had mud in my filters. Ich. :shake:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Catfish are bottom feeders and like to burrow in sand to look for food. Cory catfish love a sandy substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store