losing a fish a day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nellybelly

AC Members
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
We had been going along nicely and becoming more regimented with our tank care. Over the past few days/month we've been losing fish. It's seems like the fish liked it better when I wasn't as fussy and the tank was dirtier!

The tank is crystal clear and the fish seemed quite spunky.
20 gal tank
aquaclear filter w sponge, charcoal and ammonia filters
UGF
T=77
pH=~6.8
Ammonia=0
Nitrites=0
Nitrates = High (can't remember the measure - but I had a panic over it!)
Plastic plants and a cave

So I immediately did a water change (sometimes we go 7-10 days between changes).

I fill a bowl with water and add StressCoat to remove chlorine, then add to the tank.

Day before the change my catfish died
Day after the change, a tiger barb died.
Day 2 my dwarf gourami died
Day 3 I have my pleco and a Gourami left.

We had been losing fish on and off for about a month. We'd wait for the tank to be stable. See that the existing fish seemed healthy and happy and then add 2 or 3 more fish. But we've been losing them. I'm sooooo discouraged. I was planning to go to a bigger tank, but now I feel like a fish failure. We had actually had a couple of our fish for years (and weren't that dilligent about water care as we should have been, but as we learned more, and adhered to better testing and water maintenance procedures, it seems we've done more damage than good)

I realize that higher nitrates are not good, but I thought it was the ammonia and nitrites that were lethal to the fish. After the water change the nitrate level was still high. I didn't want to do anything else until I got some feedback from the experts..

:sad

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
This is actually a pretty common reaction when people start doing more frequent, but still not regular, water changes. It's the main reason why frequent water changes used to be seen as such an awful thing!

When you don't do water changes, there are several things that happen. First, the fish become acclimated to bad conditions. Second, the water conditions change--most common is a 'crash' in the pH as the buffer is slowly used up. When a large water change happens, the pH spikes up, and then crashes. Same situation for other things in the water that can't be tested for. Third, the disturbance to the tank brings up old food and waste, that the bacteria start breaking down, and can cause an ammonia/nitrite spike that may only last a day or two--just long enough to stress the poor fish even more. Stable, even if sub-optimal, is better than constant changes.

Of course, stable, optimal water is even better. So, the thing to do is start performing small, regularly spaced water changes. Until nitrates come down, do 10% changes every third day. Once the water conditions stabilize, this can be relaxed to every week--but get there slowly. I would not add any more fish until the tank has been stable for a month of so, and you're in the habit of those regular water changes. Then, start adding them slowly--one 1-2 fish at a time, so the biological filtration can catch up easily.

HTH

nellybelly

AC Members
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
We've been doing regular water changes (25% every 7-10) days for the past 9 months or so... So it's not been a sudden thing.. I'll try the smaller changes more frequently. I've just noticed that my regular Gourami is doing this swimming cha cha (sort of back and forth motion) and then he continues to swim about. I'm afraid I'm going to lose him too. What would be worse - a more major water change such as a 1/3 change? Or the smaller frequent change?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Okay, if this is not a recent change in maintenance, than we need to look at other factors. Do you know for certain that your water does not contain chloramines? Stress coat does treat chlorine, but not chloramines.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Well...it would help to know *how* high the nitrates are. They are lethal to fish, it just takes more of them than ammonia and nitrite. You mentioned they were still high after the change. Let us know how elevated they were...i suspect that would haev something to do with it.

I think it depends on the stress coat, OG. I have one called Stress coat (can't remember the brand offhand) that treat both.

PS. Is there any way a contaminant can be getting into the tank? Have you added a new decos? is there something you are using/doing that is introducing contaminants into the tank now that you are cleaning it more often?

Also, It doesn't sound like over cleaning is a problem if the nitrates are that high.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I would definitely defer to more knowledgeable people, so I’m just throwing something else in here. Could part of the problem be the ammo filter cartridge? Would they have a yo-yo effect on ammonia and then biofilter as their effect gets used up and then they are replaced?

nellybelly

AC Members
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
I'll do more testing tonight to get the exact nitrate level.

I do vacuum the gravel with every water change.

I rinse the filter with each change and just added a new ammonia filter.

I've added 2 new plastic plants in the past month (rinsed them first).

Oh and I have a new heater. We didn't have a heater for a long time. Then we had some pretty cold weather and lost our electricity and the tank got down to 62F. We lost some fish then. We got a heater and brought the temp up slowly. All seemed fine and then we had a heater failure and replaced it. So, we've been at a stable temp of ~76-78F for the past month (some of the fish we added after the heater and it's been a mix of new and old fish that have gone to the happy hunting grounds).

Also, I was pretty sure that the StressCoat treated both chlorine and chloramines. It's what I've been using forever although after an ealier entry on maintenance chemicals it sounds like I could just use the ammo lock.

Alainuws

AC Members
Dec 19, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I am kinda new at keeping fish, since my last aquarium i owned was like 20 years ago. :) I just got a new one 2 weeks ago.

For the past week i have read tons of websites and documentation about keeping fish.

What i find strange in your setup is the ammonia filter.
If your ammonia and nitrite are at 0 that should mean that your tank's cycle is correct. So the biological filter(s) are working.

I am interrested in your problem because you have a UGF.
And from what i read so far, UGF are not recomended anymore probably due to the fact that maybe more people put real plants in their aquariums.

My new aquarium is setup like yours. I have a UGF filter powered with 2 powerheads 201 and a aquaclear filter. My aquarium size is a 29 gallons from WallMart with plastic plants.

So, for your problem, which i am aware could become mine soon is your UGF. What i read about UGF is that pockets of dirts can clog parts of the UGF and these pockets can produce deadly gaz over time and kill all the fish.

What i think should be done to keep a healthy UGF is to at least clean one half at every water change. Make sure you clean down to the UGF itself so you know all the gravel was moved and no pockets left. And maybe removed all other decorations you may have in your tank. I.E. A pirate boat, dirt can accumulate under these. I also suspect dirt from cloging under the plastic plants anchors.

What i would suggest you, is to thoroughly clean the left side gravel with your next water change. Then do the right side at the next water change after that. I would also remove the ammo filter media you have in your Aquaclear filter and you don't need ammolock either. But what you could do is add some support media in your Aquaclear filter to support more good bacteria.

That is what i am planning to do with mine. :)

Last edited:

Alainuws

AC Members
Dec 19, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Yesterday i went to the pet shop and looked at that amonia remover they sell to put in the aquaclear filter.

It looks like bits of ceramic or something like that.

So it could be a version of noodles they made for the aquaclear filter? If so, i would beleive it is good to have it in the filter.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store