Wild Angelfish & Fuzzy Fungus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DTs

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
I bought several wild angelfish and one of them has a fuzzy fungus growing on a couple places on his body. This is accompanied by a bit of redness of the skin.

I imagine I should treat with salt. My question is how much would be appropriate for a 29 gallon tank?

Raithan Ellis

I'm only crabby due to lack of beer
Jan 24, 2002
Pennsylvania
www.flickr.com
In the time I've been breeding and growing out angelfish, I've found that wilds are much more sensitive to medications and salt.

The most important first step is to verify that is a fungus, columnaris sp. can have quick deadly effects and is actually a bacteria. My experience tells me that being a newly aquired and wild strain of angels it is probably a combination of problems, possibly secondary infections are a problem as well.

Go very easy on the salt with these guys, I wouldn't do a standard dosing unless it was for less than 15 minutes, might even only do a short term dip in a bucket (5-10 minutes in a mixture of 1-2 teaspoons per 5 gallons.

If you are looking at adding salt to the tank, do it in much lower quantities than the 1 Tablespoon to 10 gallon guideline, possibly start with one teaspoon per 10 gals and the next day add a second teaspoon and stopping there, followed up by a water change on the 3rd day. Remember there are 3 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon.

Melafix does wonders with clearing up miscellaneous true fungii and helps as a mild antiseptic. Greenex is another good additive for preventing the spread of fungii.

Also, do you see any fin deteroration or damage? Make sure you don't have a secondary infection of finrot or something, as that is something I commmonly see in imported wilds.

Keep us posted.

Regards,
Raithan O. Ellis

DTs

AC Members
Oct 29, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA
Visit site
It is a true fungus, but the fins aren't ragged. I seriously doubt it's columnaris. The fungus is settling in the form of a "poofy ball" on the anal fin. There's a bit on the top of the dorsal as well, and the skin is slightly red.

I did a 40% water change and when I put the siphon near the infected fish (python hose) some of the fungus gently lifted off (no, I'm not siphoning my fish, but rather placing the large tube opening near the fish -- the fish didn't seem to mind).

The thing that really bugs me is that these fish were sold and shipped to me as true Altums, whereas they're really scalare (Peruvian Altum lookalike). Oh well, these fish look nice too, when healthy, and they can get a bit of nice color.

If you know of an excellent source for Altums, please share! thanks for the helpful advice.

Darin

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store