I'm looking to buy a boat...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
With winter approaching, I've been watching craigslist, hoping to find a good price on a boat that someone would rather sell than store.

I pretty much plan on buying a 14' aluminum rowboat, with a small outboard motor that can be removed, if necessary, as some of the smaller lakes around me don't allow motorized boats. The boat would be used primarily by me with my 3 young kids.

I've got an appointment to view a boat this weekend, but I'm not completely sure what to look for (other than holes and rotten wood). The boat I'll be viewing is probably 35+ years old, but looked pretty decent in the pic, and the guy assured me that it doesn't leak. Unfortunately, I won't be able to see it in the water.

Is there anything, in particular, that I can look for when viewing the boat (other than holes), that will help me decide if this is a decent boat or not?

Any help would be appreciated.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
A trailer is handy, I have a 10' fiberglass semi-V boat that I simply load into the back of my pickup truck. Heavy bugger, a trailer would be much easier to work with. Not much chance of rotten wood in an aluminum boat, small holes or leaks can be patches fairly easily. An electric trollong motor, deep-cycle battery, and charger are also handy accessories that may or may not be included. Otherwise, as long as there's enough seats for everyone you should be good to go. Just remember to bring plenty of patience when boating with 3 young children... :grinyes:

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
watch for cracks in the transom, especially if it has an outboard motor.

I would reccommend a flat bottom Jon boat since you can float one in about a foot of water.

look for loose rivets in aluminum boats...

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
Thanks for the responses...

A trailer is handy
Yup. Comes with a small trailer and a small outboard motor.

I would reccommend a flat bottom Jon boat since you can float one in about a foot of water.
The one I'm viewing this weekend is a deep v, and one of my concerns is how deep the water will need to be to launch it. While a couple of the smaller lakes in my area have launch ramps, the lakes are still somewhat shallow a for a good way out. My fear is that I'll have to wade out into thigh deep water to get the thing pushed out into deeper water.

A flat jon would be ideal for the small lakes, but I'm trying to find a single boat that will allow me to fish in the smaller lakes/ponds, as well as the Fox River, and the Fox Chain O' Lakes. From what I've read, a flat jon boat could take a pounding in some of the chop that I may run into on the Chain.

Would a deep v cause problems launching in shallower lakes?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I have a 14' V and have no problems launching it in shallow water (~ 3' deep). If the water is deep enough to cover the bunks on the trailer, I can get the boat off and back on the trailer. I've run it in some shallow parts of a couple rivers with no problems. My biggest concern is always about hitting the outboard, as the boat itself doesn't sit low in the water. It's still plenty stable enough to stand up and take a few steps -- not too far to go on such a small boat.

swinneyw

AC Members
Feb 1, 2008
most alumiun b0ats that are put together with rivits will leak some if you can get a boat that was welded when assembled they are the best you could get a batterery and run a bilge pump to keep the water out and you could run a trolling moter off it also it would not be fast but it beats rowing but its good only calm waters

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
I have a 14' aluminum deep V boat and as long as I tilt the motor (it has a lever to set it for shallow water) I can get through 10 inches of water without damaging the prop. If you are going to be rowing that makes it even easier. Just dont load the boat with a bunch of crap, keep it as light as you can and you should be fine.

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
I have a 14' V .... It's still plenty stable enough to stand up and take a few steps -- not too far to go on such a small boat.
I have a 14' aluminum deep V boat
Any issues with stability at all? Either running or sitting. As I mentioned earlier, the boat is primarily to be used with me and my kids. I figure that I'll be moving around in the boat, baiting hooks, handing out rods, taking fish off the line etc. . Any chance of dumping/flipping this thing with a sudden movement by the kids, or being hit by the wake from a bigger boat?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Under normal circumstances, I don't see any of the things you'd be doing as potential problems (most of it sound like things that would be happening at very low speeds or at a complete stand still). In saying that, I'm thinking you won't be taking your kids out on the water during a particularly rough day.

If you happened to be standing and leaning very much one way or the other and one of your kids suddenly moved to that same side of the boat, by all means you could certainly lose your balance from the weight shift in the boat and the resulting lean, but I don't forsee the entire boat tipping over. Of course, if you add a reasonable rate of speed to that situation, falling out of the boat definitely becomes easier.

IME, it's much harder to flip a boat than most people perceive it to be. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, but as long as you're aware of what you're doing, it is not all that easy to do (unless you are trying). I've been in 16' / 17' canoes that were stable enough to stand up in on calm water... I don't think you'll have any problems in a 14' V.

A wake from a large boat tends to be more scary than anything. Unless you are very close to the shore, so much so that you are being hit by the wake and the return bouncing off the shore, there shouldn't be problems. Explaining to your kids to just be calm and ride it out like bouncing on a water bed will probably be very helpful, because if they panic, the tilting / bouncing only gets magnified and someone might fall out of the boat (any small boat). Again, I would suspect someone would fall out before the boat itself tips over.

In any case, please get your kids use to wearing a PFD just in case something goes wrong. This time of year, it shouldn't be too hard, especially since a vest style PFD will also help to keep them warm on a cool day.

Madcrawdad

The ONLY AC Mafia
Dec 29, 2006
Chicagoland
Thanks. You're right...with the kids along, I don't plan to go looking for rough waters.

Also, everyone will be wearing a pfd (including myself). I'm a pretty strong swimmer, but in the event we end up in the drink, I want to be able to immediately concentrate on helping the kids (as opposed to locating my pfd first).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store