Bloodfin Tetras mating?!?!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
My female bloodfin tetra has been getting really fat and full looking lately, and now today one of the males is chasing her and fighting the other male away. He keeps trying to herd her to the top of the tank. She did a couple of half jumps, but no eggs. The only thing I can find about their breeding behavior is that the female will jump out. No one says anything about if the male chases her or what, but I can't see why he would be chasing her to the top and keeping the other male away if not to mate.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Last edited:

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
This is so frustrating! I wish I knew what to expect! They could be at this for hours and I'm afraid to leave because I wanna be here to get the eggs out and put them in a separate tank but I do have to go out soon.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Thank you for the link. It's still the same as all of the other websites though. The only thing it talks about is how the eggs are released and where they go. Nothing about courtship behavior.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry, that is all I have===I have never had tetras breed in my tanks (well actually I did but other fish ate the eggs).

Angels, corys, rams, Live-bearers, and Bettas==yes

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Lol, it's okay. All of these websites say they're so easy to breed and that it happens all the time, and yet none of them give a description of how you'll know it's happening. I guess in the end it doesn't matter, but knowing would help because I'll have a better chance of aving the eggs if I know there's gonna be eggs.

JustDoinMe

AC Members
Feb 14, 2012
Lol, it's okay. All of these websites say they're so easy to breed and that it happens all the time, and yet none of them give a description of how you'll know it's happening. I guess in the end it doesn't matter, but knowing would help because I'll have a better chance of having the eggs if I know there's gonna be eggs.
Alright so I know this is an old thread but I'm going to bump it because I just had a similar experience and can answer the question.

For the first time I experienced my bloodfin tetra lay eggs and here's what happened before mine did (I have 4 males and 1 female).
First I fed them bloodworms and about 10 minutes later my tetras did what your tetras were doing (male chased female but my other males didn't really bother) and the female was pretty much colorless.

So at first I thought my parameters were out of whack (which was weird cause I always keep my parameters near perfect), and without even testing it hah I did a water change.
BUT this didn't do anything (later I found out this encourages spawning because it imitates rain which is usually when they spawn in their natural habitat), my female was still colorless and the male was still 'chasing' her.

Then after another 10 minutes the female out of no where jumps to the surface and lays like a hundred or so clear eggs.
I didn't even know they were eggs until I was like, what the? and looked up close.

It was sad though because my small school of tetra instantly ate all of the eggs.
So I observed them another 10 minutes because my female was still colorless, and then she laid another set of eggs!

And after that, she slowly began regaining her color and the process was complete.

If you're going to breed these bloodfin tetras, SEPERATION is a MUST. The tetras and probably any other living thing will eat the eggs.
They hatch in about 24 hours or so and are easy to take care of from there on, judging from what breeders say.

So pretty much to know when your female will lay eggs look for these signs -
Female with almost no color being chased by a male (my male was actually colorless too for like 10 minutes then regained it before my female spawned)
and the female acting sporadic along with the male pushing her around the tank.

She should lay eggs within an hour at most (my opinion) after you notice this; oh and I do not know exactly how many batches they lay, mine laid two and after the second one was when her color started coming back so make sure you keep observing the female until her color FULLY comes back cause that's when you know she is done spawning for sure.

Hope I helped. Good luck for those of you who read this!

Although, I still don't know to this day if he was fermenting the eggs or just waiting to eat them :confused: .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store