Shorted Powerhead Kills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I didn't want to post this in SWater forum since I don't go there much.. But, a friend had a powerhead short out (visable sparks), and clouded the water some. Now his inverts and corals in his 55 gallon tank have "closed" or "shrivelled up."

What can be done? ....besides a total water change.. :confused: :eek:

(Ooops... meant for this to be in GChitChat...) :eek:

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
testing?

I hope he is testing frequently for ammonia spikes.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Start with the water change. Several over several days. If it was my tank, I would also add carbon to help remove whatever contaminants that may be there.

Was this a Rio, by any chance?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by mogurnda
.....Was this a Rio, by any chance?
Yes, it sure was....:eek:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Now you have to go to the SW forum. :D

Anyways, it depends on if the Rio sent its chemicals spewing out into the tank or not. If it didnt, then just remove the powerhead and there isnt anything else you can do. If it did release the chemicals, he needs to do large water changes.

Never use RIOs!!!!

plantman1028

AC Members
Dec 3, 2003
sewell,new jersey
myway.com
shorted rio

Rio powerheads stink.My brother had one crap out on his 39 reef.Half of his livestock died,the only thing that saved his remaining stock was massive frequent water changes.Now we both go with AquaClears and neither of us have had a problem in the last 2 years.NO RIO..STAY AWAY

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store