an anenome on my LR?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

guestnurse

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Sydney Au
Visit site
Don't know what this is but it is reddish in colour with a green center that shows up really good under my blue marine light. It has little tentacle sticking out that you can't see in the pic and they move and look like there are tiny balls on the ends of the tentacles. At night is shrinks up smaller but in the daytime when the lights are on in the tank it gets much bigger. It's only about maybe 3/4 " across at it's biggest. It stays in the same spot though.

anenome_maybe.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Doesn't look like aiptasia--looks more like a button polyp of some kind. Not uncommon, easy to care for. When it curls up, does it disappear into the rock, or just curl up?

guestnurse

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Sydney Au
Visit site
more like it shrinks up really tiny into the crevice on the rock where it is

JayPhil75

AC Members
Jan 19, 2004
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
If it is a Glass Anemone, how big of a fight will it be?? I do believe I have two in my tank. Each on opposite ends. Could I get something that would eat them? Do I need to inject Kalkwasser into the center of them?

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Originally posted by JayPhil75
If it is a Glass Anemone, how big of a fight will it be?? I do believe I have two in my tank. Each on opposite ends. Could I get something that would eat them? Do I need to inject Kalkwasser into the center of them?
Some peppermint shrimp have been known to eat them, but it's a crap-shoot; some pay no attention to them...especially the larger aiptasia.

Injecting them seems to be the preferred method - you can use kalk paste, boiling water...some people have also reported success with lemon juice.

JayPhil75

AC Members
Jan 19, 2004
Atlanta, Ga
Visit site
Originally posted by gcvt

Some peppermint shrimp have been known to eat them, but it's a crap-shoot; some pay no attention to them...especially the larger aiptasia.
Thought about it a little more and went back and got a peppermint shrimp. Rolled a 7 because he ate it over night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store