what kind of snails did I inherit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tetra_girl

AC Members
Dec 21, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
I am wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of snails are in my tank.

They hatched after a month of putting in some plants and obviously hitched a ride. The only snails I can find any decent pictures of are trumpet and apple snails (which they're not).

There are two types in the tank, both are still very tiny after two months. They both range from 1/16th to 1/8 th of an inch in diameter and are round in shape. The coil is not very pointy on either, although is a little more so on the darker ones which have a brown iridescent color. The other ones are rather translucent with a brownish cream tint and have brown ticks going around them. They also have thin little antennas.

They do not eat the plants, but do appear to graze on the algae growing on the piece of wood in the tank and broad plant leaves.

I thought they were babies, and would get bigger, but after only a month of hatching I think the bigger 1/8th" translucent ones started having babies- I've seen them pair up together and there are lots of tiny tiny little snails again (there were only originally half a dozen).

Anyone have any idea what kind of snails I have? And are they going to get any bigger?

Thanks for any info!:)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store