oh yeah, my chasing platy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
in the tank (20g):
1 red platy (male)
1 gold crescent platy, I think (male)
1 black platy (female)...already pregnant, about a dozen babies
1 swordtail (male)
6 neon tetras (no idea)
3 diamond tetras (no idea)

The red platy is chasing the gold platy on a consistent basis. I got the tank and the platies back on Saturday. I'd rather not replace the red platy with a female one. A non-platy would probably be the replacement.
Could the chasing go away if I wait a few more days? Like 1 week total? Or should I remove the red platy right away?

Aquarius0015

AC Members
Sep 29, 2003
Richmond, VA
Visit site
Also, I would consider your male swordtail to be (from the fishes' viewpoint anyway) another male platy. Swordtails and platies are very closely related and can interbreed, although this is genetically undesirable. The offspring are sometimes called platytails or swordtail platies or simply sword platies.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Your tank is getting pretty close to being over stocked, but yes, you have to many males in that tank. They are just fighting over the female and he is being the dominant fish in that tank. I would try to take him to a lfs or call to see if you can trade him in for a female. You should always have a ratio of 2-1 in live bearers, 2 females for every 1 male. This will allow the male to breed with enough females and preoccupy their minds from fighting with each other. In a larger tank (with more live bearers), you will still see males chase each other but that is still normal and something I wouldn't worry about in the future.

jim

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
correction on the black platy, it's a black female swordtail...oops :)

so:
2 swordtails: 1 male, 1 female
5 platies: 2 male, 3 female (new)
6 neon tetras
3 diamond tetras
~12 baby swordtails, in a pen

Yeah, it's crowded I know. I'll probably remove 1 male platy and most all of the baby swordtails once they've grown some (1 month?). Hmmm, maybe even both of the swordtails. I just gotta find a home for them since I have only 1 tank.

Last edited:

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
my dilemma....

1) return fish to the lfs: aggressive male platy, a female platy, male swordtail, and a diamond tetra. this leaves:
1 female swordtail
1 male platy, 2 female platies
6 neon tetra
2 diamond tetras
the baby swordtails.

2) get another tank: put all the platy in the new tank. Swordtails maybe as well.

3) Return the four fish AND get a new tank...for the babies

I'm not too crazy about getting a new tank since I just got my first tank about a week ago.

so what does everyone do when they get a crapload of babies that they can't handle (tank size-wise)?? Flush em? My gf and I can't bring ourselves to flushing these fish down the toilet :(.

Last edited:

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site
I might do that once my gf warms up to the idea :). The babies are protected in a fish net breeder right now.

Yeah, it's waaaay too crowded in there right now. The fish are going even more nuts when I feed them and even the neons are chasing away the male swordtail. I got the rule of thumb mixed up and thought it was 1 FISH per gallon instead of 1 INCH of fish per gallon

<-noob :D

We're going to go with option 1. With those 4 fish out, is our fish population ok for our 20 gal.? We may get a 2nd tank, but not for a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store