DIY CO2 for a ~60g :|

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

courtneypie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
Nashville, TN
Real Name
Courtney
Sometime in the future I'd like to set up some DIY co2. My tank was advertised as a 60g, but AqAdvisor tells me it's around 65g. Who knows?

From what I understand, I'd need maybe three 2-liter bottles of mixture to generate enough co2. Space isn't an issue as I could easily put them behind the tank or in the cabinet part of the stand. Would this be sufficient? The plants I currently have are low/med. light plants (Am. sword, java moss, java fern, crypts, anubias, dwarf sags, clover, vals, etc.), and I'm getting some T5 lighting in about a month to replace the crappy lighting that came with the tank.

Since I honestly don't know that much, I'm leaving this here because there's a high chance there's something I missed, or something that needs to be corrected in my plan. What do you guys think? ^w^

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
I have always heard that it is difficult to do on a tank larger than 20 gallons. Having said that, I still think it is doable.

I just started one in my 20 gallon tonight. Just a single bottle. I plan on getting a drop checker in the next few days to get an idea if I am doing anything at all with this setup, and eventually I am sure I will be headed for a pressurised setup. But for now we will see.

It certainly would be feasable to do however you will need a good way to get the gas into the water. A powerhead driven reacter would be a good way to go I think. There is a design floating around the internet somewhere that shows one, let me see if I can find it. Here it is http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3

What I like about this is that it is cheap and would seem to be effective. The only downside is that to work properly it would need to be almost vertical and the outflow might stir up your sand or gravel. I haven't tried it yet but I think I am going to build one and use the weakest powerhead I can. If that doesn't work then I may eventually get a canister filter, I think that works pretty well from what I have read.

Your cost for a three bottle system would probably be less than $50 not counting a powerhead or reacter. The only expensive part is the bulkhead fittings for the bottles which only cost around $4 each. A one bottle setup requires 3 fittings.

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell

I have an 80g I use 4 2l bottles but I need to change them every week, it takes a little time to get the mix right, a drop checker is what you will need. I use flourish excel as well.

Diy is tricky if you can go pressurized - I can’t for now due too initial costs.

If you don’t keep it stable I then - Welcome to the wonderful world of BBA

courtneypie

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
Nashville, TN
Real Name
Courtney
It certainly would be feasable to do however you will need a good way to get the gas into the water. A powerhead driven reacter would be a good way to go I think. There is a design floating around the internet somewhere that shows one, let me see if I can find it. Here it is http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html#3
That website is really informative! I was also thinking that I'd need to get a powerhead, but I've seen some that aren't that expensive. I think I could cover one up pretty well, too.

Your cost for a three bottle system would probably be less than $50 not counting a powerhead or reacter. The only expensive part is the bulkhead fittings for the bottles which only cost around $4 each. A one bottle setup requires 3 fittings.
Yeah, I'll be doing this and getting better lighting when I get my financial aid refund in about a month. Compared to the lights it won't be so bad. :3

I have an 80g I use 4 2l bottles but I need to change them every week, it takes a little time to get the mix right, a drop checker is what you will need. I use flourish excel as well.

I've been dosing with Excel for about a week now without seeing much of an effect. I didn't do the original major dose (just a regular one to start with) since I have anacharis. Nothing seems worse, but nothing seems better. It hasn't been that long, though.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica

Diy is tricky if you can go pressurized - I can’t for now due too initial costs.

If you don’t keep it stable I then - Welcome to the wonderful world of BBA

I agree. It can be done, but.......

DGC

All in One
May 8, 2010
London
Real Name
Darrell

DJDrZ

AC Members
Jul 31, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I did DIY CO2 on my 72G tank. It can be done, but it requires a LOT of effort. Maybe I didn't have enough bottles going; I had 2x2L, and a third at first, it was very tough, even with staggering them. I finally went pressurized (scan craigslist for deals, especially after Xmas). I got a great regulator for a really good price and a friend had a full CO2 cylinder he wasn't using. Of course, I have limited maintenance plants, but may increase on Monday when I go to TFP.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store