Best Filteration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

steve617

AC Members
Jan 17, 2004
Visit site
Dont know if this is a issue or not but Im turning a 25g tank into a planted tank to house a trio of rams. Anyway I have 2 whisper 30's on the tank and was thinking about taking one off and use a Fluval Canister 203 that I have. Any thanks for any comments. Just hought it may supply better oxygen with the spray bar. Its a 24" tank and Im going to have 36 watts and low light plants and my substrate will be carib sea eco. Planning on houseing a trio of rams. Thanks for any suggestions.

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
I think with either filter combination, plus the plants, you should have pleanty of o2 and no worries there. Best of luck, hope you get lots of fry.

prober

AC Members
Dec 20, 2010
eastern Washington (the state)
Real Name
Jeff
Actually, with a planted tank the plants provide the oxygen for the most part and surface agitation from a spray bar or airstone etc. will tend to drive off any co2 that the plants would be able to utilize. So in that respect you may not want to run the spraybar.

If you ever decide to use pressureised co2 then the canister filter may be a better way to inject the co2 into the tank, but really whatever filter you like best is fine.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you choose to add pressurized co2 you'll need a bottle (5 lb would be sufficient for your aquarium), regulator and needle valve.

A diffuser isn't an absolute necessity as you can inject the co2 into the intake of the canister for diffusion.

A drop checker would be a valuable addition to help you gauge how much co2 you're putting into solution.

If you want to turn the co2 off at night, a solenoid will turn it off and on and can be controlled by a timer.

Mark

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store