is there something wrong with my clownfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Decz

AC Members
Aug 15, 2002
BC, Canada
I have two newly aquired clownfish. They are my first marine fish. My tank completed it's cycle over 7 weeks ago, and I've spent the last 7 weeks adding cured live rock, anemones and a cleaning crew. There have been no problems to date.

I just came home to find both my clownfish on the bottom of the tank, not really moving. I have only had these two fish for a few days, and I have yet to see them calm down after being added to a new home.

My ammonia is 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ph 8.2
temp 78

Since I tured the light on, they have swam aound and are not showing any other signs of a problem... well, actually, they HAVE SLOWED DOWN considerably since last night... But could this be that they had just finally adjusted? Did i catch them sleeping on the substrate?

Please advise!

_Decz.

My 2 clowns like to rest on the substrate sometimes, other times they like to sleep near the surface (which is scarey if you've never seen them do that ... first time I saw them I thought they were dead). They are probably just getting settled in their new home and trying out different areas.

You said you had anemones? As you will probably hear from more people these are not recommended for newly established tanks. Clownfish don't need them to do well in a tank so unless you REALLY wanted one and are experienced with saltwater they aren't recommended. They usually don't do well.

Wazzucycler

Student Cyclist
Nov 5, 2003
Pullman, WA
users.adelphia.net
When I added my clowns they were freaking out and did some strange things. After a few days they calmed down. 1 of them frequently sleeps in the back corner of the tank on the substrate. It scared me to death at first when I saw it.

Jeff

racerX

AC Members
Jan 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
My clarkii pair host in some torch coral but for some odd reason about once a week go on vacation and sleep in a hole in the sand they made with their tails. I guess its their weekend get away for the lovely couple. but then its back to the coral the rest of the week.

Shane

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store