37gal o.k. for a few F8s?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
After redoing my 90g, I think I'll set my 37g (3'X1'X18") for puffers. Would a RUGF using a penguin 550 be enough for filtration? The sponge is decent size so I was thinking that may be all I need.
In a tank this size, could I have 2,3,4 F8s?

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
you could have about 3 or 4 in a 37g, that's it though. No tankmates for pufferfish. You could try, but with 3-4 individual pufferfish that's too much of a gamble. Figure eights aren't generally aggressive, but pufferfish in general are unpredictable and territorial. One minute they can be totally docile, the next they can be terrors of the deep. I wouldn't go with any UGFs in a pufferfish tank, puffers are messy eaters and UGFs are a b*tch to clean. You'd probably do best with an aquaclear 500 and a canister filter. OR you could get a wet dry for that size tank.

beviking

Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Oops! The calculations work out to be 33.67 gal (right? 231 cubic inches per gallon?)or 32gal if I only fill it to 17".

Not even a Reverse UGF? Knowing that they are messy, I thought pushing water up through the substrate into the powerhead sponge would be pretty neat (literally and figuratively).

Did you mean an AC500 AND a canister filter? I thought puffers liked relatively slow moving water? I have an extra AC300, 200, and 150. Thought about putting the 300 on it.

I may only go with 2 or 3.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I disagree strongly on the RFUG and the puffers, especially Figure 8s and GSPs. I always use RFUG with aragonite substrates for these fish, generally over-engineered RFUG, but simple RFUG is okay as well. It is the best way I know to keep the substrate clean with these messy fish. I use Penguin 1040 or 660(?) powerheads with Penguin reverse flow kits for prefiltration and rinse the prefilters at least weekly.

I would have an additional filter for mechanical only on the tank, as I don't like tanks with no current at all, and the RFUG effectively is super calm water. Besides, extra mechanical is good with puffers.

beviking

Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Thanks RTR (and cd). I actually have the Penguin already with the reverse flow kit but it's the 550 (145gph). This along with an AC200 on the above mentioned tank would be sufficient or do you suggest the AC 300?

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
I don't remember the mid-size powerhead in Penquin's line's numbers (which is why I did the question mark). I use the large and medium from that line.

Your RFUG will carry your bioload, the AC will be your mechanical (supplemented by the RFUG prefilter), so if you rinse at least weekly it is likely to be okay. Puffers are pretty active and very messy, but don't like strong currents much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store