Can i mix potassium sulphate ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master3z

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
many people are using mineralized top soil(MTS) and they mix epsom salt and potassium sulphate as ingredients in the soil for the plants.
instead of mixing it with the soil,can we just mix it with gravel ??

Master3z

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
I dont know much about mixing ferts in soil, i just dose directly into tank.. But guessing on the situation, soil will absorb the nutrients and will hold on to them for some time. Gravel on the other hand will not, so as you fill the tank with water it will just go straight into the tank and MAY cause a huge algae bloom.
What fert you dose? the pmdd method?

Canuck

AC Members
Dec 22, 2002
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
well truly no difference at all. EI is just dosing the dry ferts directly in the tank. Can be 1/8 tsp or 1/4th and so on.. pmdd is premixing the required ferts in special ratios and dosing it by drops...
Not to make to fine a point...but I don't believe this is true, though many use the terms fairly losely. PMDD was based on a specific paper written by Sears and Conlin. In performing their experiments, the authors' developed a number of recommendations. Most notable was the complete absence of phosphate dosing. They believed that higher plants could outcompete algae for limited amounts of phosphate occurring naturally in the aquarium. Phosphate was best provided to plants through the use of an enriched substrate. Their recommendation also included a daily application of the other nutrients at a very slight excess of plant needs to ensure plant growth didn't stall "creating" an abundance of phosphate that would benefit algae.

EI, relies on an excess of all nutrients (including phosphate) to allow healthy plant growth which, through some undetermined mechanism, suppresses algae growth. It also incorporates water changes (and geometric series) to limit the upper range of nutrient accumulations.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store