45G tall stocking questions with pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
Hi everyone! I've been working through this long and cold winter to make some progress with my fish tank.

The tank was purchased on craigslist about two years ago, along with the stand and plastic hood for $100. it's a 45g breeder, 36wx24hx12d and the lighting is fluorescent. the wooden canopy seen in the pics was purchased for $25 shipped on clearance online at thatpetplace. the marineland c360 filter was purchased on craigslist for $50. in order to get the stand to match our furniture, i had to sand the original light colored wood down and my fiance painted it to match the rest of our furniture. i got pool filter sand from a local pool place, washed it when it finally was a reasonable temperature outside, and put a piece of malaysian driftwood in there. and here we are. i'm in the process of cycling it right now, waiting for the nitrites to spike.

I plan on keeping this tank relatively low maintenance, and want a nice community tank that we can enjoy while sitting on our chairs and having a glass of wine :)
from what i read, it seems like i would be getting java ferns and anubias as they grow on the driftwood and are pretty hardy.
I'm also pretty set it seems on some type of corydoras species and a bristlenose pleco as bottom dwellers, something easy like rasboras or tetras for schooling species, and i'm looking for suggestions for a centerpiece. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_3114.JPGIMG_3117.JPGIMG_3113.JPGIMG_3124.JPGIMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3114.JPG IMG_3117.JPG IMG_3113.JPG IMG_3124.JPG IMG_3121.JPG

Last edited:

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
I agree! It looks nice. I would do a pair of angelfish and a pair of Bolivian rams. And yay for rasboras! I love my scissortails, they are such peaceful little creatures.

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
I agree! It looks nice. I would do a pair of angelfish and a pair of Bolivian rams. And yay for rasboras! I love my scissortails, they are such peaceful little creatures.

i was thinking bolivian rams as well. didn't know they would also get along with angelfish, but i don't think i'm ready to get angelfish quite yet. maybe down the line when my tank is established, but even then, i'm still pretty new at this and don't think i could handle them.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
You could try just starting out with a schooling fish like harley rasboras and go from there. It's how I start a community tank usually. Good luck!!!

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
You could try just starting out with a schooling fish like harley rasboras and go from there. It's how I start a community tank usually. Good luck!!!

Definitely!

I intend on getting a group of cories and rasboras as my first inhabitants in the tank, along with an anubia and a fern. how many of each should i get?

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Probably 6 of each but only 3 at a time. And Angelfish aren't complicated to care for, neither are Bolivian rams. You just have to make sure your tank is cycled.

Eclipse_sky

AC Members
Feb 17, 2011
Oh and rams and angels will be fine together. Just make sure you don't have really small fish. The Bolivian I had tried to eat my Pygmy cories, that's why he's back at the store lol. But he didn't bother my angels.

evident

AC Members
Dec 24, 2008
Newtown, PA
Real Name
dave
How about this as stocking options? how much room would i have leftover? is it too much? i would probably start w/ the cories and rasboras first.

5 Cardinal Tetras
5 rasboras (which type TBD)
5 Cories (which type TBD as well)
1 bristlenose pleco
2 bolivian rams?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store