my poor little snowflake

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

laurabeth

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2004
Rochester NY
Visit site
hello! im somewhat new to the aquarium world and i have a question. we purchased an 8 inch snowflake moray eel with a rather hefty calico crab, being assured MANY times the eel would NOT be bothered by this beautiful hulk of a crab. we released them into the tank, not even an hour later, i saw the crab had the eel in its claws, pulling/pinching it. i screamed, my boyfriend flew over to the tank and grabbed the calico, it took a few seconds for the crab to let go of the eel and the eel was pretty messed up. at first it looked as if it had been crushed right about half way down his body and he was jerking around almost like he was having a seizure, his head was swollen, eyes were gone and looked to be bleeding inside quite a bit. this was 2 days ago, we've since returned the calico, were refunded $ and a new 10 inch snowflake. the injured eel is still alive, still missing his eyes, his head and body are not nearly as swollen and he's actually swimming around little by little, going slow, but much more normal looking then he did. will he survive? anything special that we could do to help him to survive? sorry this so long, any advice is appreciated! thanks.

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Do you have the two eels together? If so that is not a good idea. The larger will kill the weaker. As long as the Eel can still eat he doesn't need his eyes as Eels have horrible vision to begin with and mainly get food by scent. You will also have to keep the Eel with EXTREMELY peaceful fish as without eyes, he has a small sense of danger but very little. Anyway, just make sure he eats and he should be fine. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store