what do you dose in your reef tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
kalkwasser. Takes care of my kh and ca needs. I have bottles and bottles of other stuff I accumulated when I first started but really aside from water changes and my ATO with kalk nothing needs to be added.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Depends upon demand and evaporation. I've used kalkwasser and/or two-part at various times. I'd usually keep an eye out for magnesium and dose accordingly. I never bothered with iodine and trace elements.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
For a low demand tank, kalk drip in your ATO is the way to go. If you have a full blown SPS dominant tank a two-part with dosing pumps or a Ca reactor is probably a better solution. For your tank you should need to dose anything at all. Routine water changes at the high end of the SG gravity scale should give you all you need. Test to be sure but unless you go heavy with SPS I really don't think you will need to dose. Maybe some Mg now and then to keep it above 1300.

I was having some issues recently and found out my SG was actually lower than I thought. I have since corrected that and everything is doing much better now.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I don't dose anything in mine. (mostly mushrooms and zoas)

dlyon101

AC Members
Dec 30, 2010
It seems like any time I look up information about corals and invertibrates online they always say they will benefit from strontium, iodine, and other trace elements. I've never read specifically where the salt contains those things, but I've always heard people say they don't dose for that. Does the arogonite sand contain enough strontium so we don't have to worry about that one?

felixpaws

AC Members
Jan 10, 2009
Pocatello, Idaho
I'll tell ya', I didn't think dosing iodine mattered, until I did. I have xenia that wouldn't open, at all, and were totally shrunk up, until I added the recommended dosage of lugol's solution. They opened further than ever before. I have an lps, softie dominated tank, and from what I've read they use up the iodine in the tank rapidly. I've got shrooms, zoas, an anemone, softies, lps, and all that. I dose 2 part, and just started dosing bulkreefsupply.com's 2 part, with magnesium. I haven't dosed the mag., yet, but have the alk., and calcium. The only problem I've noticed is my gsp's have closed up.(I believe it's due to heat issues, and a lower than normal alk., which I'm resolving) I started out with tech cb 2 part, and it worked great, for a year. Switched due to the lower cost of the bulkreefsupply.com stuff.(I do not work for anyone in the industry, I just found them to be cheaper on some stuff, than who I bought from, before.) I've added purpleup, and it may have worked or just that nature took it's course. I started with powder alk., and calcium additives, but my params. swung too much, so, I switched to 2 part. It is a lot of work, though. Occasional adjusting, and daily dosing can be tiresome. I'd do some more reading, and make my decision based on stocking, and ease of use. Just my 2 cents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store