Power Outage SUCCESS!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
sorry for the long read :evil_lol:

So my roommate screwed us on the power bill... (remember to check into past bills when you move in with someone) and they shut our power off. Of course, they had to shut us off on a friday, so we couldn't fix it until today...

Luckily i had read posts on here about what to do for something like this back when that hurricane hit the east coast. So i dropped the filter media into the tank, and spent an hour or so friday night scooping.

saturday, i did more scooping before work, and the ammonia was still about 0.

Sunday, we figured out the gas was still on, and the water heater runs on GAS!! this was great news since from sat to sun, the ammonia had jumped to between .75 and 1.0 ppm. With the heated water, i did 3-4 ~66% water changes... i lost count. I kept the temp at 70 degrees where it had settled.

This morning, the amonia had risen to ~.25 ppm, and the fish were all at the top gasping for air (even the kuhli loach was up near the top of the tank) so, i did 2 50% wcs. Then i siphoned a couple buckets out and dumped them back in making sure to splash as much as i could.

now, the power is back on! I'm at school, but hopefully the girly will be able to get everything running again. zero casualties! Now i guess all i have to do is sit and wait for the Ich... But i felt like sharing my success thus far :thm:

the tank is a 29g with 9 tiger barbs, 2 bn plecos, 2 black neon tetras, 1 opaline gourami (lost one in the move) GBR, and a kuhli loach. AquaClear 70 (the gourami killer! now with a sponge intake) API master kit

owenodin

AC Members
May 17, 2011
Northeast
I'm glad that your hard work paid off! Congratulations on your success story.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
Good to hear, glad everything worked out as best as it could have.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
success stories are always better when they end in lives saved. congrats on making it through the weekend.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Nice, we have had a few random power outages around here lately. Not from bills or anything, just the electric grid failing in random weather. Luckily, I have battery backup that I can plug anything into. (well, right now under 100 watts but soon to be more). Enough to keep my filters running a while. The pet store guy told us a story about one of the recent outages. They had people from all over looking for battery operated pumps and filters and all sorts of stuff. Kind of a funny story but when you think about it, hundreds of dead fish and thousands of dollars in fish and equipment.

Glad you got through a weekend. :)

Big Mike

Large Member
Sep 8, 2009
IL
Real Name
Huge Mike
You wont get ich unless it was already in your tank. Ich has a life cycle so it doesn't just appear.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
thanks folks!

@mike: ahh, i figured it was one of those things that could be anywhere just waiting for immune systems to drop.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
before this, i was grossly overfeeding these guys to try to build up my MTS, BUT now i'm down to feeding only a little once every day until i know my BB is still kicking. so far so good with this lower bioload

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
well shoot... ammonia is at ~.25 ppm and nitrite is ~.25

incoming! massive WCs multiple times a day!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
on the bright side, i have some BB in there :thmb:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store