Mass Research Thread and Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
So, I'm doing my Senior Grad Project on fish, because fish are awesome and by far my favorite thing in the world besides food and music, and they may beat out the food option :laugh:

So, for the project I'm doing I'll be following the construction of my 75gal tank. I'll also be going into the details of how fishkeeping has affected the environment, how filters work, what the nitrogen cycle is, and how it mimics the wild. I'll be going into aspects of planted tanks, algae blooms, and probably into the details of what humans have done to wild fish populations regardless of harvesting. I plan to cover anything and everything related to the topic, from stocking levels to expenses to how the biology of a tank works. However, while I could probably make most of the project using what I know already, I need reference sources. You don't count, and neither does Aquaria Central (unless it has articles that can be considered a primary source). So, I need websites, books, magazines, online articles, and anything else that you can come up with as sources.

My project is almost elusively freshwater, as the 75gal tank is freshwater, and I don't really know if this would go under freshwater of general chit chat, so I put it in the freshwater section. Please feel free to add a link or name a book I should look into, all links and books and other sources will be investigated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks for helping out!

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
Google.

lol

No seriously... Google.

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Google.

lol

No seriously... Google.
I'm doing that too. This is just to supplement the other research I'm doing.

Most scientific studies deal with one aspect in depth. This is the approach I would take.
So you're saying I should just focus on, say, Cycling a Tank, or perhaps only on the affects fishkeeping has had on the environment?

HalfFrozen

AC Members
Oct 3, 2011
Real Name
Drew
I would write a paper on the effects of mass breeding fish and why there are so many different types of species today.

Like anything else in the world... it all came from one ancient common ancestor.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
So, if I was to go forward with a general coverage (this needs to be relatable to me, my hobby, and needs to be simple enough for a bunch of moronic high school kids to understand) does anyone have links for that?

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I would write a paper on the effects of mass breeding fish and why there are so many different types of species today.

Like anything else in the world... it all came from one ancient common ancestor.
How long do you imagine a paper to be?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store